Is 100 dubia roaches too much to start a colony? Plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I'm about to get a baby beardie in a week or so, and I'd like to have a colony of dubia roaches for it.
There's someone near that is selling 100 adult dubia roaches (not sure the ratio of males to females yet). I know a baby beardie wouldn't be able to eat the adults, so I was thinking of getting 350 babies as well (or 1000, which one do yous think would be better?) Would that be a good amount to start with?

Thank you in advance :)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
We've recently had a discussion about whether maintaining your own colony is worth it for only one dragon. (Sorry, can't find the link/thread) My takeaway was that, while dubias are a great staple, you still want to offer some variety, and a colony will eventually produce more roaches than one dragon can consume. You may need a way to divest the surplus.

That said, if you want to set up a colony, it depends on how big you want to go. Whatever scale, the ratio of females to males is generally 4:1. There are many vids on YT demonstrating different ways of setting up & keeping various size colonies.

A couple of alternatives are:
1. Partner up with another (or more) BD keepers in your area--kind of a co-op, sharing expenses, duties, and savings.
2. Some live feeder vendors have set up auto-ship options, to send you enough (whatever) every week/month/whatever.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100 adults is quite a bit! They are most likely going to be mainly males though I'd imagine. When I first started my colony I think I started with 30 females, and then like 500 mixed sized. And I left them alone. Maybe every once in awhile as a treat I'd take a few out to feed the dragons but for the most part, those numbers are what I bought for a colony. You can start with less, or start with more. The only thing it changes is how quickly you establish a colony and how quickly they will produce for you.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
FWIW, went to a SMALL reptile show today; a couple of vendors were selling "Dubia starter colonies" for $15. I noted the price, but the crowd was dense, so I didn't jot down how many of what were included. Shouldn't be too hard to compare-shop though.
dubia starter colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom