Sick adopted bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit24a

Original Poster
He’s still not doing good, only getting a couple licks of baby food a day. I’m keeping him hydrated and giving him opportunities to eat but I also don’t want to stress him too much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would syringe food him 1 ml 3 / per day-- do you have any critical care ? Herbivore or carnivore? I dont think you can get it at the pet store at least I have looked here in mine and I cant get it there only at vets --- I would give him some baby food chicken and may be mix the squash and chicken together water it down and give it to him that way - 1-1 ratio - make it watery so it comes out of the syringe easier - my husband made the end of the syringe wider by boring it open w/ a knife - you may need assistance doing it --- take the bottom lip on one side w/ the thumb and pull down to get the syringe in I used my for finger and went on on opposite side and got baby to open mouth that way - and slowly put food in so he didnt aspirate the food -
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
KarrieRee":32nlme36 said:
I would syringe food him 1 ml 3 / per day-- do you have any critical care ? Herbivore or carnivore?

You can order critical care overnight off of amazon, too. For a young beardie, I'd go with carnivore care personally.

exit24a

Original Poster
I’m having difficulty syringe feeding him. His body is so small and stiff and he doesn’t respond to anything I can’t really get my fingers to open his mouth

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he alive? Have someone help you or take him to a rescue place in town --
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
exit24a":3lvtgcpt said:
I’m having difficulty syringe feeding him. His body is so small and stiff and he doesn’t respond to anything I can’t really get my fingers to open his mouth
Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. You might be able to try pulling GENTLY back or down on the side of his jaw on one side or down using the skin fold of his beard to get him to open up enough to eat. I have used both in the past on mine with varying success.

exit24a

Original Poster
He is alive. I gave him a bath and he started to get less stiff, still not doing good and still not eating much but a few licks but I’m going to have someone help me try to syringe feed him later.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please do--- and please feed him 3 times per day if you can -
Karrie

exit24a

Original Poster
I finally was able to pull the side of his mouth down and put some baby food water mixture in but it’s hard to tell if any even made it inside

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Give him to time to swallow -- mine was so weak she didnt even fight but I did give her time to swallow and I could tell she was swallowing cuz she would move her tongue - but she was past the point of no return and died on Sunday--- the person that had her starved her to death --- I believe all her organs shut down and that was it --- it was heartbreaking so stories like this are rather raw for me at this point --- I am still thinking about her --- I didnt get her in time to save her
Karrie

exit24a

Original Poster
He doesn’t fight it either.. and after I put it in he kinda of did a chewing motion. I’m not able to put that much food in because his mouth is so tiny

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
1 ml a little at a time---- I have a syringe that is probably 3 cc or ml I am not sure so that is what I put in a little at a time -- I fed her 3 times per day
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like messy poop with some urate. Good that his system is processing a bit. Hopefully he will start taking some water and maybe a bit of food voluntarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom