Little Gentleman Gone Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya all,

So, if you aren't familiar I have a male normal named Guacamole Kangarilla. He's quite the dude and I love his dearly, and essentially since I've had him I let him free roam the house for 30 minutes-1 hour after I get home every day. Usually this doesn't result in much - he likes to "watch" TV on my significant other's lap, lol - but since I moved back in August he's been going a bit crazy when I let him out.

Previously, and in two different settings/houses, Guac would explore a little, climb, and of course I'd keep him restricted to beardie-safe areas so he could wander about without any danger. It was nice and I think everyone enjoyed it. Entertainment for the humans, exercise for the liz...

Since moving to the new place however Guacemole always, without fail goes into TURBO LIZARD mode when I let him loose. He's zippy! And, most peculiarly, he jumps a lot? Not straight up or anything, he'll just like leap from surface to surface and be an odd energetic boy. Occasionally he'll randomly black beard and start bobbing his head at me or boyfriend, but if we either ignore it for a few minutes or put him back in his enclosure he'll calm right down and look happy as a clam again. Maybe once every 20 times he does the black-beard head-bob thing, he'll do a couple arm waves once his beard is normal colored again of we haven't disturbed him... Whenever he's in his tank, he acts near identical to how he used to.

Usually after a few minutes of being the fastest lizard alive and doing a few laps around the apartment, he'll chill out and act like his normal self again, but it's really quite a drastic behavior change. Does anyone have any ideas for what might be going on?

During the move, we did have a minor catastrophe and break Guac's custom build 4 by 2 enclosure, and he's been in a 40 gallon breeder temporarily until I can afford to build him a new one. Could it be he's a zippy boy just because he's got more pent up energy than usual? I also corrected his UV slightly, as I realized I had previously had his T5 HO bulbs a bit further away than optimal. Otherwise husbandry is the same - same diet, same temperatures, etc. Eating like a champ, will even to climb up and nosh on my (beardie safe) house plants while he's in TURBO LIZARD mode... On a final husbandry/health related note, he just broke a pound (in 467g) and finally looks like he's at a perfect weight after being slightly skinny for about 9 months.

He seems healthy and happy, just way more energetic than usual, and I want to make sure the type of black bearding I'm seeing is some kind of misplaced mating or domination display and not him exhibiting displeasure.

Thank you much,
-Ellen

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ellentomologist":ouhyb4rl said:
During the move, we did have a minor catastrophe and break Guac's custom build 4 by 2 enclosure, and he's been in a 40 gallon breeder temporarily until I can afford to build him a new one. Could it be he's a zippy boy just because he's got more pent up energy than usual?
Mmmmm... Could be! :lol: I think very likely, combined with his age & development.
IMO, your little man-zard is growing up! :laughing6:

We've gone through similar with several adolescent dogs. In many ways they're just like teenagers; energetic, moody, defiant, full of P & V, months of obedience training gone out the window....

With dogs, it's "the zoomies" or "butt tucking". For beardies, pick your own euphemism (unless there already is one I'm not hep with...) :headbang:

Sure doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hey Ellen,

Was wondering where you went! Moved in with the boyfriend and now no time for us huh? LOL.

I agree, it sounds like Guac is just a bit hormonal right now. Tombo is the same way currently. Difference is hes got 3 girls to try and impress. But boy, does he go black lol.

I wouldn't be worried about anything besides the fact that you have a hormonal fast jumping dragon on your hands! :D

-Brandon

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":lh3lb3nm said:
With dogs, it's "the zoomies" or "butt tucking".

Ah yes! For my family is was called "Cracker Dog" after the show "All Creatures Great and Small" episode where one woman described her VERY energetic pupper as going "Cracker Dog".

claudiusx":lh3lb3nm said:
Was wondering where you went! Moved in with the boyfriend and now no time for us huh? LOL.
[/quote]

LOL! Actually it's less the BF and more work - I've got an AWESOME chance to work on some Zika Virus research right now, but since I'm not super familiar with protein folding systems I'm studying my butt off to be able to contribute more to the project. I've been getting on fairly regularly, but you're right that I haven't been posting much (for shame :lol: ).

Thank you both for the information and feedback - it's about what I expected, but I wanted to make sure as I am still definitely lacking long-term experience. :)

Cheers!
-Ellen

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ellentomologist":1kbwlyqc said:
I have a male normal named Guacamole Kangarilla.
I'm thinking there's a story behind that name involving an adult carbonated beverage... :roll:
...but I could be wrong. :mrgreen:

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1qvejf15 said:
Ellentomologist":1qvejf15 said:
I have a male normal named Guacamole Kangarilla.
I'm thinking there's a story behind that name involving an adult carbonated beverage... :roll:
...but I could be wrong. :mrgreen:

Nah, I'm just a silly creature. Heck, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was underage when I got him? And while I'm not that straight-laced in my actual opinions, I tend to follow the rules pretty carefully in practice.

I have a naming scheme for my animals - food+location they're native too - for instance my Ball Python is named Piombi Chad after the pasta sometimes put in soup that looks like little balls + Chad Africa. Alternatively some of my animals have humorous movie reference names or puns as names (for instance my Tiger Salamander is named Salamander Dali off of "Salvador Dali" - yes, the backdrop to his tank is the melting clocks, thank you very much).

Guacemole got named Guacemole as I originally wanted to save up for a white morph (Probably Witblits) and name them Sour Cream. Why? No idea, just what my plan was. Me and my mom met Guac at a pet store though and both fell madly in love... I was going to resist temptation and continue to save to buy Sour Cream at a reptile expo, but my mom offered to half my costs if I got "That one particular dragon who's so cute and needs a home, Ellen!", so I kinda got guilt tripped into getting him. Can't complain though - Gauc is 100% my best baby and scale-boy.

Anyway, since he was hardly the Sour Cream I'd imagined Guacemole was a fine fit. Plus, since Guacemole is poisonous to Bearded Dragons (avocado, specifically), we joke that he has a "biker" name - like Arsenic.

Kangarilla is a city in South Australia that we thought took the 10/10 name to 11/10.

Anyways. That was a ramble.

Hope you enjoyed!
-Ellen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
LOL 10/10 post hahah!

Now I really want you to get a wits or zero so we can have a dragon named sour cream on this board :laughing6:

-Brandon

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1p36iqzf said:
Now I really want you to get a wits or zero so we can have a dragon named sour cream on this board :laughing6:

I'm hopping to do just a little breeding once I'm a more established adult, probably many years from now, but because of that am have names picked out for each morph I would like to try breeding - Salsa for a red, Queso for a paradox... They'll be a "saucy" family, haha!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ellentomologist":217427wf said:
Kangarilla is a city in South Australia
Somehow I thought it was a portmanteau of Kangaroo & Gorilla.
...And you think YOU'RE a silly creature :lol:

I have a name all picked out too--had it since before I decided what species lizard I wanted to start (again) with, but the unveiling is going to have to wait until I bring the little feller home, and before that can happen I have to finish the enclosure! (The suspense is killing Brandon :laughing6: )

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow... I was already planning what i was going to say, then I read that last sentence!

Nope... not dying of suspense here at all...
Perfectly content... :laughing6:

*sweats*

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom