Foam Rock Project Nearly Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been making a foam rock background for a 6ft x 18inch x 18inch tank. It has taken me ages to get this far but I am finally done the rock work part. I thought I would post a few pictures of my work so far. I got a new phone in the middle of it so I don't have my pictures from the very very beginning of cutting the foam (well I do, I'm just to lazy to charge my old phone to find them :p ). I love how it has turned out but I don't think I would ever attempt a project like this again. It took way too long and cost way too much haha. I still have to make a lid for it to mount the lights, but I'm hoping to have one of my baby beardies move in in the next week or two.

104804-4523833254.jpg
104804-3988580243.jpg
104804-6253094203.jpg
104804-3492808626.jpg
104804-5695284801.jpg

I used rigid foam insulation that was hot glued together for the structure. It is covered with about 5 layers of grout then painted with acrylic paint. I sealed it with 3-4 layers of diluted Gorilla wood glue. I haven't tested the heat lamp on it yet so I'm hopeful it will stand up to the high temperatures.

Ben10dragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":sucij78x said:
Looks great! Does it add a lot of weight to the enclosure?

Thanks!! Yes, it's quite heavy. But the tank itself is far too heavy to be easily moved so it doesn't matter much.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ben10dragon":1e8cnhpc said:
Finally complete! Godzilla is enjoying his new home!
104804-6945055425.jpg

Awesome! Looks great.

I gave up on making my full tank ones lol. I'll just stick to making smaller size pieces for my tanks. Props to you for putting in all that effort!

-Brandon

Ben10dragon

Original Poster
claudiusx":35i2np8s said:
Ben10dragon":35i2np8s said:
Finally complete! Godzilla is enjoying his new home!
104804-6945055425.jpg

Awesome! Looks great.

I gave up on making my full tank ones lol. I'll just stick to making smaller size pieces for my tanks. Props to you for putting in all that effort!

-Brandon

Thanks! I don't blame you for changing your plan. It was alot more work than I anticipated. I wish I'd started out by making one for my small tank before doing this one because I probably would have done things differently. Oh well, live and learn, right? I was just checking out the tank you are building. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I eventually want to make another tank out of a dresser or cabinet for my other beardie since she is just in a 40 gal right now. I think I'll wait a while though and see how this foam rock work holds up first before I start anything new.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ben10dragon":gh99xkaz said:
It was alot more work than I anticipated.
IME, they always are. After watching a boatload of videos on how foam landscaping is done, I decided to go with natural materials, e.g. real stone & wood. It probably weighs more, and may be more expensive (I didn't actually price it out), but it' a LOT less work, and that's worth something too. :wink:

That said, your results are beautiful, and I like the tank size (I'm doing a 5' x 2' x 2') :)

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom