Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nightshade15":1rgp58h3 said:
is there a danger of the uvb bulb being too close?

Hi there,

Yes there is. The recommended distance for the t8 reptisun 10.0 is 6-8 inches unobstructed from the basking surface. This number is with a reflector installed in the fixture.
How close is your tube to the basking surface? And does it have a reflector?

-Brandon

Nightshade15

Original Poster
It’s at the very top of the tank and it’s a 40 breeder so its about 6 inches from the basking spot at its lowest point then, if that’s good then he should be okay. The baby beardie temp for basking is 110 right?

Ziranos

claudiusx":15j4j9wd said:
Will the reptisun 10.0 be the t8 version or the t5 HO version?
If the t8 then yes you do want it under the screen for sure.

Does a T5 HO not need to be placed inside the tank? I'm either going to buy the Reptisun 10 T5 or an Arcadia 12% T5. My tank is also fairly tall if that matters; 80cm/31 inches. Top is mainly glass, with a metal ventilation grid going through the middle.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 can sit on top but take the cover off the bulb so its exposed and it needs to sit on the screen not the glass of course -- 10-12 inches from basking area
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Screens cut down on the amount of UVB that the dragon gets exposed to. So, with the T5 being a stronger bulb, you can make it work ontop of the screen, as long as you get your distances right with it.

-Brandon

Nightshade15

Original Poster
Okay, yeah oddly all of the ceramic tiles at Lowe’s where I live were pretty slick, this was the only one I found with some texture to it. And ok if the height of the tank is roughly 18 inches then the basking site should be 6 inches from the uvb still.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Nightshade15":3m8rugm5 said:
Okay, yeah oddly all of the ceramic tiles at Lowe’s where I live were pretty slick, this was the only one I found with some texture to it.
I found similar. The tiles I ended up with were the huge 12" x 24".
I bought 2 boxes: (I like to have extras, cuz I can be a klutz.) :oops:
One box is real slate; the other is ceramic, but looks & feels like slate. Both are quite rough.
The latter is closer to the smaller backsplash tiles I chose.
Whichever I don't use, I'll return. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont want something so rough its going to hurt the tummy--- here is a pic of what is in my tank
97951-5577321257.jpg
I got this at Home Depot but could not find it on line --- its a slated grey ceramic floor tile
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":3hc7vcqn said:
I got this at Home Depot but could not find it on line --- its a slated grey ceramic floor tile
Is that a wood grain? What I've got has less texture than that, but enough to have an effect on claws over time. About the roughness of unpolished slate, and not as rough as rocks/stones in the Outback. Tummy will be in no peril. :wink:

The basking stones I have are considerably rougher (~100 grit sandpaper), but he'll only be on those to get on & off of--not big enough to cause any harm from belly-dragging.

Nightshade15

Original Poster
That wood grain tile looks almost exactly like what I got except mine were porcelain I thought but maybe they were labeled wrong or something. But mine look pretty much like that except brown and grey and have that wood grain texture to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom