Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I’m currently working on setting up the tank for my beardie before I get him in a few weeks. With the reptisun 10% bulbs and the simpler under cabinet fixtures how does one attach them to the glass inside the tank, the tank is a 55 gallon with a screen top, the basking bulb rests on top of the screen but I’ve heard to put the tube uvb inside underneath the top. I’m also wondering about the substrate, I’ve heard both ceramic, slate, and vinyl are good, does it matter which I use? The vinyl is certainly cheaper but would it be okay to maybe put all vinyl and then a piece of slate or ceramic in near the basking area for nail filing and heating up purposes? Any other advice is wonderful.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Will the reptisun 10.0 be the t8 version or the t5 HO version?
If the t8 then yes you do want it under the screen for sure. You can use velcro, 3m command hooks, wire, or even zip ties.

Either substrate option is fine. It's all personal preference. You can do what you suggested or pick just one. It's really just what you prefer :)

-Brandon

Nightshade15

Original Poster
Hello,
It is the t8 version from chewy/PetSmart. I actually have a whole bunch of wire(art projects) I have copper, steel in multiple gauges and some braided copper wire. I’m assuming the steel would be best? Would it simply be attached to the underside of the screen or is there a way to arrange it to the glass?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would hang it from the screen on top - it is best that they can sit directly under it and it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking area --
97951-2515040147.jpg
Karrie

Nightshade15

Original Poster
Oh, does is matter if the tank is front opening, I found a great deal on a larger size tank when he’s bigger and wanted to know if it was that important it be front opening?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Absolutely if you can get a tank w/ front openings do it -- you will like it way better and they are easier to clean --- you can get textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes etc and clean it w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle and the insects cant get underneath
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I just love my ceramic tiles; I can take them out to give them a thorough cleaning, or leave them in for a quick wipedown. I also think they retain/reflect heat better than vinyl would, but that's just one newbie's opinion. I also wonder if they'd help wear down nails better than a smoother surface would.
I've got a layer of newspaper underneath them so they don't scratch on the glass bottom of the tank.

I attached my T8 to the back wall of the hab with velcro for ease of removing and changing the bulb. I'm not sure how easy it is to take out a bulb when the fixture is wired to the top screen, but I'm guessing it can't be hard or nobody would do it. :lol:

Have fun setting up your hab! It's better than a dollhouse, IMHO... though that time was long and long ago for me!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is why I recommended the front door opening of the tank ----- also you can use paper towels under the tile as well - I use a thicker towel so it catches the urate and all you haft to do is wipe down the tile and replace the paper towel--- it also catches it so it doesnt soak into the tile underneath
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":2jyp433f said:
...also you can use paper towels under the tile as well - I use a thicker towel so it catches the urate and all you haft to do is wipe down the tile and replace the paper towel--- it also catches it so it doesnt soak into the tile underneath

Great idea- will use it! Thanks! :)

Nightshade15

Original Poster
Okay, I think I’ll just go into Lowe’s and see which tiles I like best since it seems like there is good sides to both kinds. I’m going to go see what type of fixture I can find for the reptisunat Walmart or Lowe’s for the uvb first, I don’t want to get the expensive fixture zoomed sells if there’s a cheaper one that works just as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Home Depot sells one it's a 18" I don't know if it has a reflector and you want one that has a reflector-- also cover needs to stay off exposing bulb for best UVB Ray's-- check out www.pangeareptiles.com - they have a hood there as well
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Nightshade15":37eszdsv said:
Okay, I think I’ll just go into Lowe’s and see which tiles I like best since it seems like there is good sides to both kinds.
I've already shopped there and at the Despot; both carry (mostly) the exact same tiles. There are some slate & ceramic tiles for $2-$4/sq. ft. but you may need to cut them or have them cut. I heard that these places will do some (straight) cuts, but I'd verify that. I designed my enclosure around the full 1' x 2' tiles, but I'm nutz. :laughing6:

Another nice thing about flooring the entire enclosure in slate/tile is that you can put other substrates/items on top of it, and it's still relatively easy to rearrange/clean.

If you go this route (slate/ceramic) be sure you get rough textured ones; many/most are too smooth to wear down claws/nails. If you're ambitious & handy, you can also get smaller (rough) tiles (some are gorgeous) and adhere & grout them. Get a grout that doesn't require sealing, or you'll be sealing it to prevent it from soaking up lizard whizz/stank... :mrgreen:

I really didn't shop linoleum or vinyl, so I don't know if any of those are rough enough to grind claws/nails... I did get some really rough pieces of flat stone (either sandstone or shale)--for basking stones--from a landscaping place. Again, something like that could go on top of the lin/vinyl. :wink:

Nightshade15

Original Poster
I ended up cutting some of the tile myself(I’m handy with a couple of tools and a family member had a wet saw) it’s got some decent amount of texture but it is porcelain, I couldn’t find anything saying there was anything wrong with that just that it usually wasn’t textured, but this one is, looks and is textured like wood grain. I’ve got in the tank now(still no beardie yet tho) I got a 24 inch black light fixture for Walmart for my t8 reptisun bulb. This tank is a 40 gal breeder for while the beardie is a baby(will have an upgrade later) is there a danger of the uvb bulb being too close? It’s installed into the inside of the tank right underneath the top. The basking bulb is lifted up off the screen cover on the tank to establish the right temp but I’m not sure if it’s ok for the uvb to be as close as it is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We usually recommend ceramic not porcelain as long as hes not slipping you should be ok- the T 8 how far is it? It should be 6-8 inches from basking area -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom