Louie the bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided id make a thread so i can share my beautiful girl.

Mabel came home with me November 13 2018
102094-2234621812.jpg
she was 6 in. the store couldnt tell me her age, but i guessed she was around 2 months or less.
i have only had her about a month, but its been great.
102094-1028074841.jpg
102094-125169200.jpg
102094-8652638453.jpg

she started out in my old 55 gallon aquarium but i decided to get her a Exo Terra 40 gallon with doors that open in the front, i like the design a lot better. its much more convienient. now i just need to find the money to buy her some extras for her cage.
102094-4313758244.jpg

this was about 2 days ago, shes getting big, she is now 11 in and weighs 73 grams.
102094-8606921802.jpg

and this is her right now, December 19 2018, laying on her hammock with her grumpy face because shes shedding lol
102094-4053306836.jpg

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
so, today i took him to the vet, he did a very good job.
102094-8501634327.jpg
while i was there he said he was a healthy guy and that he was probably lazy due to how hes a little chubby. 650 grams. he actually said to me that i probably didnt need to do a fecal because everything seemed fine, but he ended up going on the exam table so i asked him to just test it now while i was there just in case. as i thought, my poor baby has pin worms and flagellates parasite. he said he doesnt know bearded dragons enough off the top of his head to identify the exact type, i guess? he kinda seemed like he didnt know 100% what he was doing, he use to own a beardie and thats where he got all his knowledge from, but its all i have around here. he gave him a dose of 16 ML of Panacur and he said to give him 16 ML once a week for the next two weeks and then come back and see if it cleared it up. he said this was going to be like chemo for him, which really scared me.. i asked about risks and he said not to worry about any other then lack of appetite or depression. im a bit worried and would love if someone could reply to ease my concern.
102094-5406858870.jpg
he also said that it probably came from my dubia colony and i should throw it out, but hes been showing these symptoms way before i established my colony. i think its more likely he had it when i got him but he didnt think so.
do i need to get rid of my whole colony? itll break my heart. also, is there any other advice anyone can give me please?

I believe a lot of beardies are born with parasites.

My baby had them before I even started feeding him from my dubia colony so it didn't come from that.

My beardie tolerated Panacur very well.

BeardedMabel":1qiq23lt said:
is there anything i should get him to help keep the good bacteria up, or provide him some vitamins?

when he was on Panacur, I fed him as usual. About 3 times a week, he got his food dusted with multivitamin. Everyday, he gets his calcium powder on his insects. I didn't give him anything different when he was on Panacur. I considered yogurt, but I heard somewhere that beardies cannot digest dairy really well. So, I decided against it.

But I am no vet, I hope someone else chimes in with their experience.

Good luck with Louie!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just got all caught up on Louie!

Sucks that the vet seemed to not know what he was doing. Dragons usually DO have a small amount of parasites in their systems. But, as long as they are healthy the numbers stay in check. You usually only treat for parasites if the numbers get out of hand.

That being said, Panacur isn't too harsh compared to some options.
Some soy yogurt works well for good gut bacteria.

You don't need to get rid of your colony, at least I wouldn't!

-Brandon

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
got him a couple things for his tank, some fleece to lay on and a couple “toys” and instead of playing with it, he lays on the ping pong ball! never seen a lazier animal in my life.
102094-7883320162.jpg

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
That's so cute. I tried giving my little one a bouncy ball. She just stared at it and walked away. Not amused at all. Haha He looks all happy healthy ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like he's liking the new additions haha! :mrgreen:
I love when they are hanging out with that "proud" look about them.

-Brandon

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
hes funny, i put the chew toy in there because while he was running around my room he attacked it and wouldnt leave it alone. i think he likes the bright red color. he cant really do anything with it im sure ill end up taking it back out ? but he defiantly doesn't care about the ping pong ball. im out of ideas to try to stimulate him and get him moving, i dont know.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It seems the only way I can get mine to move around is to drop a worm on the other side of the tank. Then they act like they are Usain Bolt! LOL

I do want to work on getting all mine some more stuff in their tanks too. Right now they are all pretty bare-bones :oops:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom