concerned about my babies health

Status
Not open for further replies.

randall31

So little man is a little over three years old and I feel like something is off with him. The past few months his appetite has decreased and he doesn't have regular bowl movements. In the beginning we thought he was about to go into burmation so we weren't to concerned. However, I've grown more and more concerned and decided to take him to the vet. When we got there he took the worlds largest poo imaginable. The vet said she never saw anything like it. Needless to say they did collect a fecal. (still waiting on results). I explained to the vet all the things I was concerned about and she said he looks and seems like a healthy beardie. Other than a bright orange spot on his tale that she said looked like a bacteria infection and told me to put diluted iodine on it. I however am not convinced. So here's the list of my concerns:

1.) Loss of appetite.
2.) Never leaves his basking spot.( honestly just sits there like a bump on a log)
3.) seems to always have a slight grey beard. (it's never black just like a thin line of grey in his beard area)
4.) Seems "flubby" for someone who doesn't eat much.

He is very responsive and alert if you hold him but once you leave him alone he goes back to keeping his eyes closed or at like half mast. He never has any interest in exploring like he used to. If we take him out of his enclosure to have fun he just sits in the same spot we placed him in.

Now i'm not sure if hes just honestly the worlds laziest dragon or sick.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I can go into depth more if asked, I just didn't what the initial message to be soo long.

Thank you,

randall31

Original Poster
105848-5894868108.jpg

Here is his set up.

-Basking area ranges from 98-110 (different areas of the rock are different temps)
-Cool side of the tank is 79 degrees.
-Humidity is 40% (having an issue with the humidity being high sometimes at 50%)
-Basking light is zoo med 100W
-UVB is zoo med reptisun 10.0

Usually have the reptile carpet in the bottom of the cage but due to our humidity issue started using paper towels.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am assuming the UVB is a T 8 --- it looks like it is - how long is the fixture? If it is a T 8 it needs to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking area -- cover needs to be off the fixture for best UVB rays --- he needs to be able to sit directly under it -- how are you taking temps? w/ the stick ons I am seeing --- they are totally inaccurate--- please get a digital probe and or infrared heat gun-- both would be good - they are pretty cheap the heat gun is around $10-12 from Home Depot Walmart or Lowes good investment -- he looks like hes out growing his tank- I would recommend a tank upgrade soon -- like a 75 or 120 gallon -- I would get one w/ front doors -
Karrie

randall31

Original Poster
I was thinking that myself about his enclosure. We ordered both our dragons new enclosures about a week ago from zen habitats. (waiting on them to arrive.) They will be 4ftx2ftx2ft and will be able to hang the light fixture from the inside of the enclosure as apposed to on top. I never knew it was bad for the fixture to rest on top. Their lights have been sitting on top since we got them three years ago. Is that detrimental to their health?

The fixture is 19 1/2 inches long. We have a heat gun for the temp reader. The humidity gauge is the cheap one from zoo med so i'm not sure how accurate it is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They have not been getting enough UVB-- it's been filtered from the screen--- I would get them in the tank asap-- youn use picture wire+ fishing line or cable ties
Karrie-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a nice tank setup. I do agree that the Reptisun 10 tube needs to be placed inside of
the tank, underneath of the screen so he can get a stronger UVB exposure. Try to get it within
a 6-8 inch distance from him. You can also try using the 3M command hooks to secure it too.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

randall31

Original Poster
Helllo,

His appetite is still the same, however his fecal results finally came back and he has pinworms. I gave him his first dose of the panacur 0.3 ml. He will be on it for the next 5 days and then a recheck two weeks after. This explains all his symptoms. I’m just a worrie wart and thought there could have been something else ailing him. Hopefully once they are gone he will go back to his normal ( mostly lazy) self. :) Is there anything else I should look out for while he is on the medication? They did advise to clean his tank daily while undergoing treatment.

*edit*since he is not eating any of his greens, ( he will eat a discoid roach here and there) should I be doing anything like force feeding so that he has food in his tummy and not just the medication? I don’t know if it’s like with humans that you shouldnt take medications on an empty stomach.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hi Randall. Glad you found out what's wrong with the guy! My little one had pinworms when she was about 8 months old and the doctor gave us OxBow Critical Care or Carnivore Care since she wasn't eating. I'd ask your vet about this or try to find it on Amazon. Hope this helps!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he is eating on his own I would not force feed- keep offering his vegies and make sure his discoids are fed well-- you might want to offer water on his nose to see if he will drink
Karrie

randall31

Original Poster
Ok thank you! I’ll ask the vet about the oxbow. I’m worried he’s not getting the calcium he needs since he’s only eating the dusted roaches every now and again. Still refuses to touch his greens. And thankfully he is drinking water out of a syringe, which is also tricking him into thinking the panacur is water because I just drop it right on his toung and he takes it like a champ.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Too bad he has pinworms, but, with a few treatments he should get rid of them.
The Panacur is mild so he shouldn't really have any side effects while on it. Just be sure
to keep him hydrated.
If he is eating some, you wont need to give much of the critical care but you could supplement
his diet with that to help him get the extra nutrients he needs right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

randall31

Original Poster
A mini update. It’s now day three of his medication, but now I’m concerned because he hasn’t pooed since Monday. His appetite is still not really there, had 4 roaches and a bite of apple. Still won’t touch his salads. He’s drinking about 0.5ml of water out of a syringe, but that’s about the only amount he’s willing to consume in a day. But now he’s starting to keep his mouth open constantly. I’m pretty sure it’s not him regulating his temp. It’s not open as wide as it is when he’s regulating. Kind of cracked open slightly. All the time. We moved his uvb inside the cage and closer to his basking area since that’s where he spends most of his time now a days. Should I be concerned about him not pooing? Tomorrow is bath day soo hopefully he goes then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The medication may be effecting his appetite not sure Tracie or someone else would haft to weigh in on that - hopefully he goes tomorrow in the bath --- the open mouth I would get a pic and post -- is he breathing heavy like hes struggling to breath? The 4 roaches is good -- they are filling -- not sure what the slightly cracked open mouth means -
and its good hes drinking the water as well --- at least your getting some hydration in him
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom