Beardie Gout? What's wrong with her claws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andria910

My lovely beardie, Biscuit claw must be infected some how. Its healthy appearance has declined over the week and I am concerned. HELP! HELP! HELP! Please let me know what you think.
105148-2534680730.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry about Biscuit's claw. Are there other fingers, toes, etc that have any swelling, or is it just
the one right now that is swollen?
Can you review your tank setup with us, as well as her diet & supplementation too? If you have
more pictures of her along with the tank please post them.

Tracie

andria910

Original Poster
I have a 50 gallon terrarium with a clamp single lamp and a short rectangular lamp for the UVB lighting that sits on a metal mesh that covers only half of the enclosure so I am able to clamp the lamp in the opening so my beardie has access to get closer to the light. She has a pseudo tree branch that is slightly too small for her body, but she still manages to climb up it and hold steady. It's lined with newspaper, (use to be felt paper, but got ruined with poop and takes too much effort to replace). She has a food and water bowl, but hasn't been eating in the past week nor drinking. I'm tempted to force feed her some water in a syringe as I believe she is dehydrated as her skin is more loose. She doesn't poop often, on average once a week. Direct sunlight helps and she usually will after a car ride, which she rides about once or twice a week. I handle her regularly and I notice any and everything about her as I pay attention to detail. She has never had a vet visit. I have only had her for 3 months and got her at 2 yrs old off craigslist. She use to be a classroom pet and her temperament is perfect.There are no locations in my city that service exotics but I am considering a vet location about 1.5 hrs away depending on cost. I love her so very much, she is mommy's snookum! I want to address any little abnormality immediately, I don't want anything to happen to my Biscuit. Thank you for your help. I will post a pic of the terrarium soon, I only have old pics stored with my excited face in the background so I have to take a new one. She doesn't have issues on any other fingers. She hasn't had a bath in over a week, I plan to give her one tomorrow. I serve her 80% veggies this week the mix is collard greens, cabbage, apple, watermelon, carrots, mango, green bean. The fruits make up only 1/5 of the mix. She eats superworms but hasn't wanted any offered in a week. She only eats the veggies like once every 3 days. I do put calcium on the veggie mix and superworms. Thank you for all your help and advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The very edge of the finger near the nail looks like it might be about to shed. This can cause swelling along their fingers/hands while they loosen the skin and returns to normal after the shed. It's also possible that it's swelling due to the nail getting caught on something. Hammocks and looped carpeting are often the culprit in those cases. Are there any other areas showing signs of swelling?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Biscuit doing today?
The short UVB lamp, is that a compact/coil type of light then? If so, I would recommend
upgrading to either the Reptisun 10 T5 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube. They
have a much higher UVB output, as well as increased brightness to them than the compact/
coil lights do. Are you using a temp gun or digital probe to measure the temperatures for her?
You can definitely try using a plastic dropper or syringe to drip water onto her nose to see if
she will lick that off, to try & hydrate her some.
That's great her temperament is so good also, they are very sweet souls. How is her finger
doing?

Tracie

andria910

Original Poster
I took Biscuit to the Vet Friday and she told me that nothing was wrong. Maybe her nail got caught in something and injured it. She felt her, looked her over, took vitals, even gave a vitamin B shot and I paid for some bearded dragon formula mix to syringe feed Biscuit on days she won't eat (I have yet to try it, but I will as soon as I figure out the best method to syringe feeding). Biscuit's behavior didn't change nor did her eating habits. Then, this morning, I woke up to OVER A DOZEN EGGS!!!! :shock: Why didn't the vet foresee this, why did no one tell me that female beardies lay eggs even without mating???? My "fat" dragon that everyone said was preggo and I denied, but it wasn't far from the truth. She was holding eggs, now half her size is gone. She acts the same today, but hopefully things will pick up. This was just a crazy sight to wake up to this morning. :shock: SN: Her finger is healing on its own. I paid a good vet bill, I'm just happy that nothing is really wrong with my baby, I don't even care about anything else. My baby is healthy and normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Biscuit is doing very well now!
Yes, absolutely, females lay infertile eggs, whether or not they are with a male or not. Some
can show no symptoms at all while others dig & lose their appetites right before they lay. Has
she been eating pretty well now after laying those eggs?
Let us know how she is doing!!

Tracie

andria910

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. She has been eating better than nothing but still not at a normal rate. The vet gave me some sort of "baby formula" for beardies and she loves it. Its just time consuming and tedious for me to syringe feed. I'm blessed nothing is truly wrong. She has been scratching around, trying to sleep often and doesn't care to bask as she rather window surf. HOWEVER, the toe I was concerned with originally has gotten worse looking. (Pic on the way)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Biscuit doing, she hasn't been acting like she is going to lay more eggs has she? It is
possible she may lay several clutches, too. Is her toe infected? I would recommend getting some
raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put on that toe.
Yes, it is a little time consuming to syringe feed but if she needs the nutrition & a metabolism boost
then it's worth it. You can add some bee pollen to help with her appetite. I hope she starts eating
on her own soon. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

andria910

Original Poster
Hey. I know its been some time but wanted to give adequate time for a update. This just happened: entire nail gone and claw on opposing hand showing similar symptoms. Not sure if it will experience the same demise. I will upload a photo soon. Please, let me know what you think. I've already been to the vet and paid $85 (which was discounted) for no true synopsis so that's pointless.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your girl isn't getting better. She is likely developed gout & it needs to be treated
with medication. Go ahead & post some pictures of her so we can see what her condition is
right now.
How is her appetite doing?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just wanted to add that my females lost claws when they scratched around the tank a lot before egg laying. Not one ever was serious or caused any problems. It's pretty normal so don't worry too much. :) Biscuit should be fine, let her eat on her own, too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Andria,

How is Biscuit? I did email you this evening, so you can send more pictures my way.
Has she not improved, really at all?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom