Cat and beardie getting along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyoriza

I'll start by saying that I know the vast majority of cat/BD interactions have not gone well-- I've seen the posts on this forum.

However, my cat Malachi is a real weirdo. He's ancient (17), incredibly slow moving, with absolutely no play drive or prey drive. He used to hang out with my roommate's equally ancient rat, and they were buds. He has never had any issue with any other animal. He doesn't like to play with any kind of toy. Mostly he just sleeps all day. Once or twice, he's encountered the BD when BD was playing on the floor and he snuck in, and there was no problem-- he just sniffed the BD and left him alone.

BD, understandably, is not a fan of Malachi. He beards out, turns black, and occasionally lunges at him. (Malachi never fights back-- he just jumps back, and then walks away). I always separate them when that happens so as not to stress the BD out even more.

Has anyone had luck getting their beardie used to their cat? Repeated interactions, baby gates, anything like that? I'd love for the two of them to get along, since to my understanding it's usually the cat that causes the problem, not the beardie. But Malachi is a very sweet and gentle soul who would appreciate a friend. But I definitely don't want to stress out poor little BD, and I know this interaction is inherently stressful because he is, after all, a prey animal.

If this is a lost cause, I understand. Just figured I would ask.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sorry but don't let the cat fool you. It WILL eventually attack the dragon.

Cat's and lizards should NEVER be allowed to even be in the same room EVER. It will end in badly for the lizard , and it only takes one bite or scratch that breaks the skin from a cat to eventually kill a lizard ( very nasty mix of very hard to kill viruses and bacteria on cat's fangs and craws that nearly aways result is a life threatening systemic infection that nearly always kills the reptile in the long run ) .

You might not see the cat as a predator, but your dragon does. Exposing you dragon to the dragon is terrifying to the dragon (as indicated by it's response) and a very cruel thing to do to the dragon.

They WILL NEVER BE FRIENDS (despite claims by some cat lovers) and you can't trust a cat near any reptile PERIOD.

If there is a cat in residence, you MUST make the dragon's tank 100% cat proof , a mesh lid is not obstacle to a cat who is determined to get to a lizard, cats are fully capable of ripping a hole in a mesh lid and it only needs to be big enough for the cat to reach in with an arm and front claw and snag the dragon , which will then be dragged out and tortured mercilously by the cat.

Please please protect your defenceless dragon from the cat and make sure it is never allowed near it or it's tank.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lots of people have. But there is always the risk. Just be aware of that.

It's not correct to say that all cats will eventually attack. That's simply not true.

If you do a search on this forum with the keyword cats, you'll find most threads are threads exactly like this one. Nob states the worst and that all cats will kill, and others come in and say they've had cats their whole lives and things have been fine.

Best advice is use your own judgement, and not buy into the fear mongering from someone who clearly has a disdain for cats.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
deer-eating-popcorn.gif

SPandS

Juvie Member
I have 3 cats and 2 dragons. I have never had anything bad happen when they are both around each other. I don't know how well you can see my avatar but the cat was sleeping when the dragon went over to him and laid with him a bit. The cat went back to sleep.

Here's another pic, same cat different dragon who I rescued off Craigslist last year and is afraid of everything. This time the cat came over to the dragon who was window watching on the back of the couch and again the cat fell asleep. This cat by the way is the most playful of all my cats.
103231-8263835185.jpg

All that being said I still always watch the dragons when they are out to make sure they don't get into something they shouldn't be and to make sure my other pets, also have 2 dogs, don't bother them. Your dragon may realise your cat isn't a threat and relax a bit around him but only time will tell.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":1ki0lyt5 said:
Nothing to see here .

OP has been warned about letting the cat have access to the dragon.
Yet the archives are rife with anecdotes of cats who seemingly get along with BDs. They may add caveats, yet they keep proliferating the anecdotes. Life has taught me that many people skip/ignore the caveats, and only take in what they want to see/hear, so IMO/E, it's still a Con-Sub.
Google: cats bearded dragons for evidence. When the article/video titles are things like:
Puppet and Puff! (Cat loves Bearded Dragon)
Rescue cat and bearded dragon are best friends
Cat Befriends A Bearded Dragon And Now They're Inseparable
Cat and bearded dragon have strange but adorable friendship

IMO, there's a widespread denial/ignorance problem.

I think we're of the same mind here.
YMMV.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Life has risks. Many people keep cats and dragons together and never have an issue.
And some people do have issues.

And even more people I believe are cautious due to the fact that they know there is a possibility. I dont have cats anymore (and if I'm honest, I dont want cats in the future either) but what i do hate and disagree with is absolute statements.

It's not an absolute that your cat will attack your dragon.
It's not an absolute that your dragon will get impacted and sick from being housed on sand.
And it's not an absolute that two dragons can live together without incident, just as it's not absolute that they will attack each other.

Very view things in this world are absolute, and usually when people state things as absolute, it's based out of emotion and not logic reasoning or experience.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Did I state an absolute? If so, it was about the nature of certain species, and I'll stand by that, and back it up with citations.

My concern is more with the impression that many internet articles/videos give, that these 2 species living in harmony is the rule rather than the exception, and the foible/selectivity of some people that they see/hear what they want to hear, rather than the whole message. (I won't go into generational generalizations--some of which have become memes.)

Many of my opinions have been formed from 40+ years of close association with veterinarians--family, friends, & more, because they are the ones who, like Farmers, have seen more, and have had to deal with the consequences.

When expressing an opinion--particularly one I feel strongly about--I (try to) end a post with "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary)--allowing for differences of opinion and/or experience. IMO, that's not indicative of an absolute. :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wasnt referring to your post but another's. It's the same comments every single time. The cat WILL kill your dragon. Simply not true. However that doesnt mean it wont happen or cant happen. But at the same time, I dont feel its mine or anyone else responsibility to state emotional statements like that to try to sway someone into making the decision that they want them to make.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'd never stop or want to stop someone from expressing them, I just completely disagree with the absolute mindset.

Do I think its safer to not allow cats near dragons? Absolutely. Do I think it's a guaranteed death sentence? No.

But I've said my peace on the subject, just wanted to elaborate a little behind my above comment on absolute statements.

I've got no dog (cat... lol) in this fight I just see these threads getting really heated so often because both sides come in saying "yes they kill" or "no they never do."

That's why my common advice is to he cautious and aware of the risk. But I can't bite my tongue and always have to end up saying something about the absolutes lol.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":beg099hu said:
I wasnt referring to your post but another's.
Apologies. There was no quote/frame of reference. Since it followed my previous, I presumed incorrectly. Mea Culpa.

It's the same comments every single time.
Yes, I've seen it before, hence my "popcorn" post.

I just completely disagree with the absolute mindset.
OK, but there is also the probability factor, which IMO cannot be ignored (not implying you are/have).

Many people think it will never happen to them. To quote Tommy Lee Jones in MIB,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMMNvYTEyI

BDs (and other prey animals) are still showing up injured (by cats, dogs, and other predatory pets) in vets offices in too-high numbers (accident is one thing--arrogance/stupidity another), and when some new "exotic pet" fad comes along, the numbers spike/skyrocket. I hear about it, and I've seen it personally.

My guess would be that for every cute video out there depicting predators & prey being all cute & snuggly, there may be another one depicting the "Oh, ****!" moments. People don't post those on social media. It's not hard to guess why--they'd be (figuratively) crucified, and rightly so for taking the chance and allowing it to happen. When the worst does happen, the victims--if lucky--show up at the vet's office; the not-so-lucky... well, we know what happens to them too.

Do I think its safer to not allow cats near dragons? Absolutely. Do I think it's a guaranteed death sentence? No.

Neither is Russian Roulette, (a guaranteed death sentence) but there's that probability factor again.
Obviously (I hope) I'm not suggesting the odds are 5-1. They could be lower; they could be higher--much higher. We're talking about well-established special (having to do with species) behaviors. Forget to feed Fluffy for a couple days and see what happens when he meets Mr. Lizard... Breeds also play a part. A big friendly Labbie is one thing (low-er risk); a terrier bred to shake & kill rats is another (very high risk).

I guess maybe I do have a dog or cat in this... let's call it a debate/discussion. My closeness to the veterinary community has had an impact I cannot in good conscience stifle.

I have to keep reminding myself (and others) that 50% of the human race is below average. :roll:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And that's the beauty, different opinions. I dont see it as dore as you did in that it compares to Russian roulette. We just see it at different levels. And that's fine! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one should get upset or put others down for there opinion.

Take what happened with mei and suki last night. They literally were shipped together in the same box, and hung out together for a whole day. Last night I had them both out and suki lunged at Mei's face.

Animal nature is unpredictable, and to me, that's the danger. Not so much the thinking that all cats are born killers. But that animal behavior typically is unpredictable. Whether it be cats, dogs, birds, or other dragons. You just simply dont know either way.

No one knows for sure that an attack will happen.
And no one knows for sure an attack wont happen despite past experiences of friendliness or... being shipped in the same stinkin box.. LOL.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":i28nkm3u said:
I dont see it as dore as you did in that it compares to Russian roulette.
I only meant that as an example of the odds being heavily weighted (and maybe to stimulate some to think :wink: )--not a literal comparison. I do believe that the odds of a (typical random) cat (or dog) having an incident with a smaller prey animal are much greater than even money, but people are free to disagree.

....Just don't come crying if something happens, and I won't say, "I told you so." (Joke).

YMMV. :D

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
How old is your beardie? I do not have cats, so I cannot weigh in other than what I've read on this forum, but I'll just throw out my opinion. I look at it as the same way of raising a puppy and a kitten, or even a kitten and a young dog, together. They grow up at a young age and have a great friendship with one another, but if you were, to say throw an older cat (maybe 2 years) in with a puppy or a dog, I'm sure the friendship wouldn't exist. They'd just go on their merry way walking by each other, maybe one chases or swats at the other here and there. My point is, your beardie may never get used to your cat because of its age. If he's constantly black bearding and gaping while your super sweet calm ancient cat is around (I love his name btw), I'd say not to try to get them to interact anymore. I just don't think it's worth the stress on your beardie. Let him stare from his tank at Malachi in superiority--LOL-- (mine does this with the dogs constantly) and just take solace that your beardie doesn't mind Malachi from afar. I'm sure you'll properly come to our conclusion and what's best for your household, but don't let too many opinions sway on what you think is best for you, your beardie, and fur baby. :blob8:

Vanessa

ladyoriza

Original Poster
Thanks Vanessa! I was kind of viewing it as a dog-and-cat scenario too...there's always the risk of a dog attacking a cat, but there are tons of instances of dogs and cats getting along too. It just depends on the personality. Seems like that goes for any predator/prey species, honestly.

BD seems to enjoy, as you say, staring from his tank at Malachi, in superiority. So I'll keep letting him do that, and will continue to keep them separate when BD comes out of his tank. No point in stressing him out if he's never gonna learn to calm down. It's a shame, as Malachi could use some stimulation (and a buddy, frankly) in his old age, but it's totally valid for BD to be scared, and his livelihood and health is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom