Darwin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin has gotten increasingly tired recently and has been asleep all week. This is earlier than usual for all out brumation but I don't see that there's much to do about it. I hope he wakes up before our trip to Minnesota in a few weeks. He loves that trip every year =/.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darn Darwin! I hate brumation. I'm counting my blessings while my crew is still young!
I hope he wakes up for you soon!

-Brandon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So do I. Castiel went down really early this year, too, April. Nathaniel in May, even though he did wake up for a day. Cierra is also brumating, she went down in early July. Freya is trying to, but I think she has eggs still, so going to the vet today. Grrl has no clue brumation exists, i don't think. She still wants to be up 12 hrs a day or longer. She'll sit on the dragon chair on the balcony for hours, watching everyone going back & forth in our new apartment complex. I've been here 4 months, see my grandkids every day, they live down the hall. Love it.

Brumating is such a difficult time for us. I've never had dragons brumate in summer, but Castiel, Cierra and Nathaniel have been doing that for 5 years now 4 for Castiel. He'll be 5 in Sept and Cierra and Nathaniel will be 6 in December. I've had them for 5 years...time sure goes fast!

Hopefully Darwin decides that going on the trip is worth not sleeping for a bit. :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He's still pretty sleepy and will just bunker down all day if I let him. I've been bribing him with some BSFL to wake up in the morning and at least get a partial day routine in so he's awake for our vacation. Who knows with this guy :dontknow: He's healthy and happy though.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Awww. well boooo! Darwin totally needs to wake up for his human. LOL

I know how ya feel though. Tampico does the same thing. If she see worms moving around in her bowl (of which I have to place directly in front of her), she'll eat them and then hunker down in her cave. If I take her out, she's super alert and bright, but if I move her by her tank,she's ready to jump in and hunker down in her cave again. I can't blame her though. We now have two crazy dogs in the house. I'm sure she rather sleep than watch them run around her tank all the time..ORRRR hear us telling them NO! all the time. Hahahaha

I do hope he wakes up for your vacation soon!! :blob8:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Slowly bribed him out of his brumation using bsfl over the last week. He handled the 8hr car ride well (as usual, he is good at road trips fortunately). He is awake and alert at the cabin. Not sure if he remembers this place from year to year but he’s always very happy when he’s here =) =)

Travel setup w/northwoods themed blanket:

76248-5659197629.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
It's a nice day here so he's been getting lots of time outside to pancake in natural sun. I think he feels safer outside here than at home since there is a lot of tree cover (and no hospital helicopters constantly flying overhead). So far he has nabbed two (bees? some kind of flying insect) out of the air and munched on a patch of clover and some kind of weed/grass. Happy little guy today for sure!

76248-3239227240.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He hasn't been eating much lately, but I came across sweet potato leaves at the public market last weekend. I haven't seen them before so I picked up a bunch to try. Good to have another variety to add to the mix =).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Interesting. Does he seem to like them?

I'm really interested in a "beardie garden" idea that I've been thinking up. Would be nice to have access to more items such as that for varieties sake. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for them if Darwin ends up liking them.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'm not sure yet. He hasn't come out of his hide today. I've been able to lure him out with worms recently, but that is a limited time treat for him. His BSFL have started hatching and he enjoys chasing the flies down too. Just no activity from him today except stink eye from the hide.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom