Not open for further replies.

Nena305

Anyone have experience with Beardies pooping on another Beardie? Weird behavior
Dr. Google has nothing regarding it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off I recommend separating the two beardies -- are they both the same sex and how old are they?
the pooping on one another could be a territorial thing as bearded dragons are very territorial
Karrie

Nena305

Original Poster
KarrieRee":zd8mhlma said:
First off I recommend separating the two beardies -- are they both the same sex and how old are they?
the pooping on one another could be a territorial thing as bearded dragons are very territorial
Karrie

They are about 3 months. Not sure of the sex yet but, I think they may be female and male. In a few weeks we will be purchasing another large enclosure. For the most part they get along great. They do their own thing. They pretty much have their own areas (basking areas and what not), I have caught them sleeping side by side a few times. Just on two occasions now, what I believe is the male relieves itself on the others tail.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Guess he found his favorite spot-- that's good your separating them soon about 6 months he's gonna be wanting to breed or so I have heard
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Just a question, because I have no idea... Do beardies mark their territories? Like, if it's the male defecating/urinating on the female, could that be a "claim" of some kind? :dontknow:

Nena305

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1oobv3fv said:
Guess he found his favorite spot-- that's good your separating them soon about 6 months he's gonna be wanting to breed or so I have heard
Karrie

Lol, I guess he did, smh. And, yes we will seperate them. I definitely do NOT want to end up with babies. Thanks for all your input ?

Nena305

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":12dph0f1 said:
Just a question, because I have no idea... Do beardies mark their territories? Like, if it's the male defecating/urinating on the female, could that be a "claim" of some kind? :dontknow:
My husband seems to think so ? but, what would we know. We are totally new to reptiles. We have had tons of dogs never reptiles.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've had reptiles before; got dog now (5th), but this'll be my first BD when I get him in the near future. Been doing the homework on many lizard species for months now. (Got a plan that also doesn't involve breeding.) :D

Nena305

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":jpn860wd said:
I've had reptiles before; got dog now (5th), but this'll be my first BD when I get him in the near future. Been doing the homework on many lizard species for months now. (Got a plan that also doesn't involve breeding.) :D
AWESOME! I love dogs! It's been a little bit of a mission with my oldest female. She is jealous of the Bds. My husband really wants to add a chameleon and Tegu and be done lol. Dr. Doolittle syndrome ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My advice to do lots of research and ask people who own those reptiles already for years ---- no new people ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
+1. Especially the Tegu. There's a lot of talk on the interweb comparing them to dogs. IMO, this should be taken with a BOULDER of salt. You may (not can) be able to train one to come to its name, and they may (seem to) snuggle with you a bit, but show me one that'll fetch your slippers, roll over, etc., etc. "Dog-like" is not a dog--or even close. People gotta stop spreading that false analogy. Dogs are social pack animals. They've been tamed over 40,000 years. Tegus are not social, not tame, and really don't care a whit about humans beyond satisfying their desire/need for food and maybe a good scratch. Got kids, or planning to? Tegus can do a lot of damage to people and property, and their mouths are FILTHY. They can also live up to 20 years. Is your husband up to that kind of commitment? I implore both of you--research this carefully and think on it--for a long time, because that's how long you'll have the tegu. :wink:

Keep your female dog away from the BDs--even if she begins to soften/show some curiosity/interest. Things can (and do) go sideways very quickly--faster than human reflexes can respond.
Personal experience: We had started keeping green anoles again during a period when we had a female border collie. I was always careful to keep a safe distance between them, but one day while I was handling one of the anoles, it jumped off my hand, and in a lightning flash, it was (literally) halfway down the dog's throat. Fortunately, I was still young (and much faster than today), but I swear--1/10th of a second later would have been too late. If the dog had bolted, the lizard would have been a snack. An adult BD isn't likely to be swallowed whole, but the end result could be the same--dead 'zard.

Nena305

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1wp0e8ko said:
+1. Especially the Tegu. There's a lot of talk on the interweb comparing them to dogs. IMO, this should be taken with a BOULDER of salt. You may (not can) be able to train one to come to its name, and they may (seem to) snuggle with you a bit, but show me one that'll fetch your slippers, roll over, etc., etc. "Dog-like" is not a dog--or even close. People gotta stop spreading that false analogy. Dogs are social pack animals. They've been tamed over 40,000 years. Tegus are not social, not tame, and really don't care a whit about humans beyond satisfying their desire/need for food and maybe a good scratch. Got kids, or planning to? Tegus can do a lot of damage to people and property, and their mouths are FILTHY. They can also live up to 20 years. Is your husband up to that kind of commitment? I implore both of you--research this carefully and think on it--for a long time, because that's how long you'll have the tegu. :wink:

Keep your female dog away from the BDs--even if she begins to soften/show some curiosity/interest. Things can (and do) go sideways very quickly--faster than human reflexes can respond.
Personal experience: We had started keeping green anoles again during a period when we had a female border collie. I was always careful to keep a safe distance between them, but one day while I was handling one of the anoles, it jumped off my hand, and in a lightning flash, it was (literally) halfway down the dog's throat. Fortunately, I was still young (and much faster than today), but I swear--1/10th of a second later would have been too late. If the dog had bolted, the lizard would have been a snack. An adult BD isn't likely to be swallowed whole, but the end result could be the same--dead 'zard.

Oh, definitely gonna take our time with that decision. In all honesty I dont think we will end up getting anything else. Kinda selfish and another huge expense.
Thanks for the info on the dogs. I believe you. I have been making it a point to keep them away.
Thanks for the comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom