How does this viv look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
105349-8533505816.jpg

We've had Freddy for a month now, and he seems to be doing great! I've rearranged his (or her, we don't know yet) viv a few times and added a few things, but I think I've finally got a good setup. I just want to make sure.

There is an ExoTerra 50 W ("intense basking spot") bulb on the left. The t-rex and the log are his basking perches. The log is 8 inches from the bulb. The t-rex's back is also about 8 inches from the bulb and his neck/head are about 5.5 to 6 inches away from the bulb. Both basking spots are about 110-115F right now according to my Zoo Med ReptiTemp digital infrared thermometer (admittedly, I'm not sure how close I should hold it to the surface, so I hope these temps are accurate).

I've got a T5 HO 5.0 UVB bulb on the right where Freddy is sitting. Previously, I didn't have the magnetic rock that he is sitting on, and since the bulb is only a 5.0 (instead of a 10.0) and the light has to go through the screen, I was concerned that maybe he wasn't getting enough UVB. So I got him this new magnetic rock that I was able to stick up closer to the bulb, which he loves. It's about 95F up there. I just hope he doesn't love it so much that he stops going to his basking spot. He'll bask when he needs to though, right?

He has a hide in the bottom right corner that he sleeps in sometimes, and two food bowls (one for worms and one for salad). It's about 85F over there right now. All the lights go off at night and since it's summer here in Chicago, the night temps have stayed in the 70s. I will definitely have to add some warmth to his viv during the wintertime, though, as our "vintage" apartment does not stay very warm in the winter.

What do you think??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tank looks nice but I would invest in a 10.0 UVB bulb -- the 5.0 is more for aquarium and since it's above screen he's not getting enough UVB - you could put it inside the tank and it should be 6-8 inches above basking-- you could invest in some textured non adhesive shelf liner-- from home Depot or Lowe's it's cheap and easy to clean + vinegar/water in a spray bottle 50/50--how big is the tank?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tank looks great I love how you've personalized it :)

I've never seen a trex basking spot before haha!

Is he able to easily get up and down that magnetic rock?

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It looks fine to me, but I wonder if that big lizard on the left ought to be in his own enclosure... :laughing6:

Question: How does Freddy (or Freddie :wink: ) get up on that shelf--just by climbing or is jumping involved? :?

freddyshouse

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ekmmfsg said:
Tank looks nice but I would invest in a 10.0 UVB bulb -- the 5.0 is more for aquarium and since it's above screen he's not getting enough UVB - you could put it inside the tank and it should be 6-8 inches above basking-- you could invest in some textured non adhesive shelf liner-- from home Depot or Lowe's it's cheap and easy to clean + vinegar/water in a spray bottle 50/50--how big is the tank?
Karrie

Good point. Does it help that he's a bit closer to the bulb now? I am definitely willing to replace the 5.0 with a 10.0, if necessary... I was thinking about just waiting until he gets bigger, when we upgrade to a bigger viv and need a longer UVB bulb anyway (this UVB is 14"), but if you think the 5.0 is likely going to hinder his growth, then I'd be willing to get the 10.0 right away. :study:

freddyshouse

Original Poster
claudiusx":3dw5lvij said:
Tank looks great I love how you've personalized it :)

I've never seen a trex basking spot before haha!

Is he able to easily get up and down that magnetic rock?

-Brandon

He hops up and down the rock with no problem and seems to really like being up there. The t-rex is his best friend! :lol: I have so many cute pictures of him on top of it that I need to post on here... they crack me up!

freddyshouse

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3putf3j8 said:
It looks fine to me, but I wonder if that big lizard on the left ought to be in his own enclosure... :laughing6:

Question: How does Freddy (or Freddie :wink: ) get up on that shelf--just by climbing or is jumping involved? :?

LOL! :lol: and I might have to get a bigger t-rex when Freddy outgrows this one!

I think he jumps from item to item in there, although it's hard for me to actually catch him in action (he still stops whatever he's doing and stares at me whenever I come in the room). I try to keep the log close enough that he can climb up onto the magnetic rock, but he's quite the jumper.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How long before you upgrade tank? I think I would get a new UVB fixture and bulb but do not get one the whole length of tank--- 2/3 of tank--- of what your getting- I have a 4x2x2 and use a 24" -- that way your ready for your bigger tank and he's not losing rays--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom