Now presenting: Her Grace, Daenerys Stormborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of her Name, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons was born on May 5th, 2019 and joined our household on August 23rd, 2019. Since then, we have learned that she is EXTREMELY photogenic and loves to pose.

105808-8502941853.jpg

Dany was the last of her clutch born to a pair of retired breeders from White Hot Dragons down in Tacoma Washington. I'm not sure how long she had been separated, but we made eye contact and it was love at first sight. She doesn't super love hands, but she tolerates them and prefers to nestle up on a t-shirt or a pair of jeans in the sun.

105808-253408729.jpg

Speaking of which, she absolutely LOVES to be outside. I've been avoiding letting her walk into the grass (only because I am unsure of what goes on it, as I don't maintain the lawn), but I've been diligent about giving her at least a half hour of natural sunlight each day provided it is over 70 degrees and she really seems to love it.

Confession: I am a nervous new parent. This isn't my first reptile, but it is my first desert reptile, and so I'm doing my best to give her everything she needs.

Her first day home, she took feeders directly from the tongs and ate so much that she made herself sick the next day. Now she's being a little pickier and won't eat unless she's given an opportunity to hunt around her cage. She hasn't pooped yet, but from what I read, that can be normal for a new baby in a new environment. She's still very alert and curious -- she and the cat like to have stare downs from across the room.

It's only been a few days, but I can confidently say that she is getting me through a very difficult time in my life right now. Having her to care for is keeping me on a schedule that I haven't been keeping because of various life factors, and I couldn't be more proud or grateful.

105808-5094029363.jpg

More soon. She has a vet appointment next week.

kayleesi

Original Poster
I added her throne back in her tank after a thorough disinfecting and she was so happy about it that she FINALLY pooped.

105808-6829475476.jpg

kayleesi

Original Poster
I have been quiet here recently because Dany has been having some minor parasite issues. Turns out they were not actually all that minor, and Dany is infected with atadenovirus. Blood test confirmed it as of today.

I thought I did everything right. I did my research. I picked a breeder. She was my only dragon. I never expected it. She is healthy, active, and shows no real signs of sickness except for small stool issues.

I am redoing her entire viv as we speak to make absolutely certain she has optimal everything. I am utterly miserable — this is my first dragon, I love her to pieces, and I am deeply worried I am going to shorten her lifespan because of stupid little mistakes.

I know this is supposed to be a happy forum, but I am truly devestated over this news and had to put it somewhere.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately Atadenovirus is becoming fairly common, even with dragons from reputable breeders. The good news is that it is not necessarily an immediate problem, and there are some things that can be done to help treat it (although it can't be cured at this time as far as I know). I suggest speaking with Tracie about treatment options. She has quite a bit of experience with this and can probably set you in the right direction for treatment options.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darn I'm sorry to hear.
Like cooper said, it doesnt always present serious issues and a lot of times if they make it through the hatchling phase, they can live on for quite awhile!

Most breeders dont test for adv, and the simple fact that it can spread so easily means that it's not too hard for a breeder to pick it up at a reptile expo and bring it back to his or her whole colony.
I second pming Tracie. Shes actually been successful in eradicating it completely from one of her dragons (maybe 2?)

-Brandon

kayleesi

Original Poster
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. She's about 4 months old and is currently getting over a pretty serious parasite infection -- but thankfully, it had not gone beyond her gut. I got set up with a supplement to give her for life, and I should be hearing back about the fecal post her first round of medicine in the next day or so, and I'm hoping for good news.

I'll get some fun photos once she's in her new viv. I'm trying not to stress her out while she's loaded up on meds.

kayleesi

Original Poster
New tank is set up! It's an exo-terra, 36x18x18. Took me some tries to get the temperature dialed in, but we're sitting at about 80 on the cool side (per vet recommendation) and 100 at the basking spot.

I'm debating adding a hide on the warm side when she gets a little bigger, but right now, she hides in the pipe.

105808-2006743979.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks really good! Your temp gradient is correct too. I'd keep it as it is for now and see how she reacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom