Asian greens and veggies to feed as staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin797

Hi there,

So I live in a town with an extremely high asian population (my town has multiple universities and is almost entirely focused on engineering, computer science, and mathematics). I also do not drive. As a result I have a really hard time finding the recommended staple greens. I currently feed my 6 month beardie mixed greens salads (which i can only find on occasion - once every 2 sometimes 3 weeks), carrots (which she absolutely loves), and am introducing bok choy. I've tried bean sprouts but that was a no no, not only would the beardie refuse to eat it but even crickets refused to eat it (which I thought was pretty much impossible). The main issue I find is that most of the veggies available aren't found in normal grocery stores (basically every grocery store where I live would be a specialty Asian supermarket elsewhere).

Does anyone have any suggestions for some Asian veggies that I can introduce or even make a staple in my little girl's diet?

Muffin797

Original Poster
She also loves bell peppers but those can be rather expensive. I still get them on occasion (once a month).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What about squash - any types of squash ? There is got to be something over there that she can eat as a staple - do you have the nutrition website link ? Its on this board at the top --
Karrie

Muffin797

Original Poster
Yes I have the nutrition page, but most of the items I see at the grocery stores aren't listed on them...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh great --- well someone else will haft to help on this one -- maybe Ellen shes an entomologist- I would PM her ellentomologist is her user name ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Muffin797":37fl46r2 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for some Asian veggies that I can introduce or even make a staple in my little girl's diet?
Wow, that's a really good question!

There are plenty of Asian veggies (& greens); I think the question is, which ones are/are not calcium binders. As I understand it (Anyone please correct me if I'm misinformed!) the calcium-binding culprits are oxalates. Quite a bit turns up Googling: asian vegetables oxalates but one may have to work backward from the tables/statistics to find those leafy greens with the lowest levels (%) of oxalates. I might start by comparing levels to things we know are safe/good for BDs.

YMMV.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would focus on variety based on what you have available. Offer as much as you can and see what she likes. If you can land on a few favorites then I'd use those as staples, then rotate in/out some others based on availability so you're always offering (at least) 2-3 items in each salad and rotating what is offered. That will help provide a balanced diet with needed nutrients. Just do the best you can with whats available to you.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I'm glad you brought this up. I have a large Korean and Chinese community in my area and there are a bunch of exotic (to me) greens that I'd love to have them try except that I can't tell whether they'd be good, so-so, or bad for my beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom