HELP beardie squeaking, rusty brown runny poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momoffour

Original Poster
Yes I can’t get the photo loader to work. Pet store said red bulb. If you look at my prior post photos I have since lowered the bridge closer to the log further from the light. I wish the photo would upload. It’s 140 at the bridge and 110 under which seems drastically different. Currently augi is chillin under the bridge on the log (110*) area. Sorry guys: I’m trying my best. So far no squeaks today just opening his mouth.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We know you're trying your best dont worry! It just gets hard in the beginning sometimes until things settle out.

I would return the red bulb if you can. It really serves no purpose and only causes issues. Dragons rely heavily on lighting. Red light is very unnatural for a whole day. The light it puts off is comparable to that of a sunrise or sunset. So with the red bulb it greatly disrupts their time cycle and stresses them out.

Is your temps any cooler without it?

What wattage bulb are you using for a basking bulb that's giving you those temps? That really is too high. I wouldn't allow any areas in the tank to travel over 110.

-Brandon

Momoffour

Original Poster
ok I got the imager to work on my computer, I am going to recheck the bridge temp again, that seems crazy.
105781-702030799.jpg
105781-4837716259.jpg
Would the log be enough without the bridge? I will return the red light. I was using these::
105781-2421788145.jpg
but replaced the UVB coil one with what was recommended on this thread (now I have double dome and long light) Is this a typical set up or am I doing this wrong?

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES RESPONSES.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah if the log is the right temp, I'd remove the bridge or place it on the cool end that way it is still part of the tank.

Ok good!
You are correct, for lighting you just need the basking bulb, and the tube uvb bulb. Nothing more nothing less! :D

-Brandon

Momoffour

Original Poster
awesome. I am double checking the bridge temp again as we speak.
I am a little frustrated that the pet store recommends that UVB coil bulb -- I had no idea it wasnt good enough. & the red bulbs--- suckered a new mommy dragon for sure. WHY DO THEY SELL THEM IF THEY DONT WORK OR ARENT GOOD FOR THE ANIMAL?? Glad I asked you guys! PS He pooped and its back to normal color and a bit more dense.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The red bulbs might work for other creatures, I'm not sure I'm not well versed in the care for other lizards. Same could be said with the cfls I suppose. But there really is a lot of misinformation out there. And I find it best to always be leery of taking suggestions from someone trying to sell me something that I'm unsure of.

Glad to hear about the poo.... lol you can only get away with saying that on this site.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, those temperatures were crazy! Did you remove the bridge then, just leaving the log
for him to bask on?
Well, it isn't your fault the pet stores try to push extra sales on people that really aren't at all
correct. I have no idea why the compact/coil UVB lights are still sold, it is extremely frustrating
indeed since they really aren't all that good.
You can get a tube bulb ordered online though, if your local pet store doesn't carry one. We
recommend either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube. You can look
for the T5 high output tube bulb instead of the T8, as they are a lot more effective with the UVB
emissions & last longer, too.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Momoffour":8zh3sx2i said:
awesome. I am double checking the bridge temp again as we speak.
I am a little frustrated that the pet store recommends that UVB coil bulb -- I had no idea it wasnt good enough. & the red bulbs--- suckered a new mommy dragon for sure. WHY DO THEY SELL THEM IF THEY DONT WORK OR ARENT GOOD FOR THE ANIMAL?? Glad I asked you guys! PS He pooped and its back to normal color and a bit more dense.

Unfortunately, they sell a lot of things that aren't good for bearded dragons, calci-sand and a lot of other loose substrates also.

Good that he pooped, bet he feels more comfortable.

I agree that you wouldn't want the basking spot to be any higher than 110. When you use the probe thermometer, you should wait about 30 minutes for the temp to stop rising before finding out the final basking temp.

You're trying hard and doing a great job. :)

Momoffour

Original Poster
Thanks all. This morning he ate two crickets the size between his eyes and a mealworm, I don’t know how much greens he eats as I just replenish through the day. I am re checking his temp, but he seems to navigate his internal temp well, he moves around the cage a lot. You guys have all helped so much. Thx for your insight! I’ll keep you posted

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing today?
That's great he ate a little bit today. So he is eating some greens also?
How are the temperatures coming along now? I hope you were able to get them pretty
well regulated for him. We are all pulling for his recovery. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom