Nervous parent - vomiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleesi

Hi there. I've spent the past few weeks scouring these forums for information and they have been an invaluable resource, so thank you for that!

However, it seems like I still managed to mess up. I will preface this by saying that I know I am probably letting my new pet anxiety get to me, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom in the mean time. I took Daenerys home from the breeder two days ago -- she is a 3 month old female, and she pooped on the way home. The breeder has kept her on a diet of superworms and she loves them.

I had read to feed them as much as they will take in a 10-15 minute period. I wanted to have a bit of variety available, but I'm starting to think the butterworms I gave were too large, as she's now vomited twice and two of them came up totally undigested. The good news is, most of the superworms that came up were little pieces of chitin -- it looks like, for the most part, she kept those down. Her first meal, she ate 10 of each and still wanted more. I had to cut her off. She will not eat the greens I have offered her.

She took about 3 superworms yesterday morning and now she absolutely refuses to eat (since she vomited, I now know why). The trip home has been her only poop so far, and I am worried she might be impacted because of her big meal on day one. I am torn between wanting to make sure it doesn't get worse, wanting to make sure she eats her meals since she is young, and not wanting to stress her out because she just got home.

The thing is, she is not acting like she is sick at all. She had some blackbeard most of the day, but it's gone away now. She's still active and alert but refusing food, and my limited experience means that she could go downhill fast from that point. Should I leave her alone a bit longer and see if she poops? Should I try/start massage and soak? Do I need to take her to the vet ASAP (she has an appointment for the 7th and I was trying to dodge the emergency vet fee, but I also want to do the right thing).

She is in a 20 gallon exo-tera with a reptisun 10 uvb tube across the length of the tank, a basking temp of 105-110 (she seems to like it this hot -- she's not avoiding it) and a cool temp of about 85. Water and greens available 24/7

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would switch her over to Dubia roaches or crickets - dubias are the best as far as I am concerned --- dusted w/ calcium D3- powder 5 x per week-- vitamins 2 x per week -- -I would lay off the super worms -- they are not a good staple feeder for babies - greens is good - the UVB can she get away from it if she wants to - we dont recommend the UVB across the whole tank but like 2/3 - or half - they need to be able to get out of the rays if they want --- black beard is not good - either they are in distress or she is in pain-- its possible she is plugged from all the super worms so I would not give her any more and switch to the crickets or dubias- as long as she has good UVB and good basking temps of which should be around 105-110 she should be good - you can try warm baths and massage her tummy to stimulate her - she may go then ---
Karrie

kayleesi

Original Poster
Yes, she can get away from the UVB if she wants. She's got plenty of hiding spots and one dark corner to retreat to on top of that.

Part of the problem is that I can't get her to eat at all right now.

105808-253408729.jpg
105808-3132974054.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
At months old she should be eating as many crickets or dubias in a 10-15 minute time span- have you tried any of those insects already?
Karrie

kayleesi

Original Poster
Not yet -- the breeder sent her home with supers, and butters were the only easily accessible feeder besides crickets. I think I can probably get some dubias from a local shop, but I'm not sure about keeping them alive/getting rid of them before they pupate. The supers have been pretty low maintenance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dubias are the easiest to keep - I keep mine in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food along w/ carrots for hydration - they keep for a very long time they dont stink and they dont chirp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate crickets they are a pain in the *** and stink and are noisy! And they dont last that long!! I switched Hiccup over right after I brought him home around 3 months-- I am not sure what you mean but dubias pupate?? I have never had them pupate before
Karrie

kayleesi

Original Poster
Sorry, I'm thinking of phoenix worms. I've done way too much reading in the past 48 hours, lol.

I'll see if I can pick some up. She's really not interested in food right now though, so I'm not sure it will help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's a nice looking girl you have there ! You are right that the amount of super + butterworms caused the upset. Be sure never to feed her too late in the day either. She should get her appetite back in a day or 2, no need for a vet visit. Keep her hydrated and just be patient. :)

kayleesi

Original Poster
AHBD":2yopk3cw said:
Hi there, that's a nice looking girl you have there ! You are right that the amount of super + butterworms caused the upset. Be sure never to feed her too late in the day either. She should get her appetite back in a day or 2, no need for a vet visit. Keep her hydrated and just be patient. :)

Thank you! It was absolutely love at first sight.

Update: we went and hunted down a reptile shop that had dubias in stock. She ignored them at first, but once we looked away, she gobbled them down! Didn't give her very many as I didn't want to upset her tummy again so soon, but I'm relieved she's eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom