My Baby Beardie isn't pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my baby Beardie, who is about 5months old, isn't pooping and I'm wondering if there are any remedies I can give her.
I know you can sit them in warm baths but that isn't helping. Can't see a vet haven't got the cash for that.
She will still eat her food. I give her woodies and crickets and pellets. This is what I usually give her.
Can it be stress? I recently got a blue tongue lizard.
She doesn't have any loose substrate, she has a grass mat.
I have a bowl full of pellets and a bowl full of water in her enclosure. Though she hasn't learnt to drink from her water bowl.
I have a 'Reptile One' 50 watt red heat lamp (I'm only having this for a little longer until I can get her a bigger enclosure). I have a UVB that is 150.

So what can I do to help my Bearded Dragon?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Proper husbandry is the first line of defense, and the first thing you should try to do to help your dragon. It sounds like you kind of already know that your setup might not be ideal. Until the issues in it are fixed, you're not fixing the problem of why she isn't pooping.

You're better off pulling a lightbulb from one of the lights in your house and using that instead of the red bulb.
Do you have an accurate way of measuring temperatures?

Nothing is more important for their health than proper temperatures! :)

-Brandon

Iceywolfie

Original Poster
I have a thermometer that I bought from a pet shop. And the degrease is 33 Celsius (91 in Fahrenheit). I tried looking up different remedies and nothing really came up, that seemed to be good beardies, so to be safe I thought I would ask on here.
She has been lethargic lately as well. But that could be because she's due for a shed.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
91 degrees on the basking surface?

A baby should have a basking surface temp of 105ish. Without high enough temps your dragon will not digest food. That is most likely the reason behind the lack of poos.

Like I mentioned, I'd be switching out the red bulb for a normal household bulb for now. You need to get your temps up for the health of your dragon.

The lethargy could be from a shed, it can also be from being malnourished due to not absorbing and digesting her food.
Temperatures are critical for their health.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What about a UVB? What brand and bulb and where is it? On top of tank or inside?
Karrie

Iceywolfie

Original Poster
The Uvb isn't old at all, maybe a month. Its pretty close the basking area and very close the ground (but I checked she can't reach it). Small enclosure for my small beardie.
And sorry but I don't know what T 8 means.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's the bulb do you still have packaging? Or you can take a picture of the tank and lighting do we can see it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh my goodness please get rid of the red bulb and that coil UVB-- those two bulbs are doing some harmful things to your dragon---------------you need to get a bright white basking bulb for heat - here is some info on the UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please replace ASAP-- if you dont know what these bulbs look like google them --- you can find the T 8" usually at Petsmart or Petco- or you can order off line at www.pangeareptiles.com-
It will be trial and error w/ the basking bulb - make sure you have a infrared temp gun or a digital probe on hand so you can get proper basking temps - baby dragons need 105-110 basking temp -- hes not able to digest his food w/ those bulbs you have in your tank
Karrie

Iceywolfie

Original Poster
Thank You Karrie for your help.
Just one more quick thing, those bulbs are they in Australia because I have never heard of them?

And I just got paid so I'm gonna get her an enclosure this week or next week, and some proper lighting. ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure --- can you go thru Amazon- ? Try there but you need to replace them ASAP- get rid of the red bulb and get a bright white basking bulb --- UK sells Arcadia bulbs - they are just as good - you can get the 14% bulb and it would need to go about 13 inches from basking or thats what the box calls for - you would need a T 5 fixture for it -- its going to be trial and error w/ the temps for bulb wattage
Karrie

possumpeg

Iceywolfie, these folks are real serious about the lighting. Since I've had Cheddar, she has suffered calcium deficiency that could have cost her her life, but with a vet we caught it quickly and she only has a tiny kink in her tail. Those reptisun bulbs are critical, and proper mounting is also a key! There is a great section on proper UV lighting and proper set up. I too got the dragon before I knew all the care they need. They certainly are not a cheap or easy pet to keep if you want a happy healthy dragon. I keep calcium on everything she eats and the vet gave me a liquid calcium supplement that she takes once a week. Now we are dealing with he being a stubborn teenager that won't poo, so it's a real challenge. The people on this site genuinely love their pets and will help you as best they can. Good luck and I hope to see more pictures in the future!!

Your fellow newbie,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom