Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more questions

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:26 am

AHBD wrote:Yes, some do lay multiple clutches like that. Many years ago one of mine laid 8 clutches one year , somewhere around 300 eggs. Just keep her well fed + calcium supplemented.


Ok thanks. I'm glad that this is somewhat normal. I just feel so bad for her. Luckily this time around she did not stop eating her bugs before laying (though she refused veggies). Her vet had mentioned spaying to me before but I really didn't like how risky it is. Do you think this is something I should consider if she keeps laying like this?

And thanks again to everyone for helping me out so often. I'm sorry I post here so much.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby AHBD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am

Everyone is glad to help if they can, we know what it's like to worry about our spikey critters so there's no shame in posting a lot for serious issues. As for spaying, I can't really advise you. Some dragons do well afterwards, some don't. A few dragons on this forum actually still laid eggs after being spayed, the procedure needs to be done just right, and some vets don't get it right.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22895
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:13 am

AHBD wrote:Everyone is glad to help if they can, we know what it's like to worry about our spikey critters so there's no shame in posting a lot for serious issues. As for spaying, I can't really advise you. Some dragons do well afterwards, some don't. A few dragons on this forum actually still laid eggs after being spayed, the procedure needs to be done just right, and some vets don't get it right.


Thanks. I feel like I'm constantly worried about her. It's so hard! She's still super active after laying (which is how she's always been each time she lays) and I feel so bad because it looks so hard for her to get around! She is not very good at walking/climbing already because of her MBD, but right now she just looks so weak and she's tripping over herself because of how active she is. I fed her some bugs and she had a big appetite, she still doesn't want veggies though. As for what you said about spaying, yeah, I really don't want to have to go through that. I live in NYC so I know there are some great exotic vets here, but it just seems so risky. Thanks for your advice. :D
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 am

Liz is laying her fourth clutch at the moment. I kept her in her lay box for an hour before taking her out and putting her back in the cage so she could warm up again. Immediately she started laying eggs in her cage :roll: . Should I put her back in the lay box? I'm a little worried she won't be able to lay them all in her cage, but I also don't want to disrupt her by picking her up and moving her.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby AHBD » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm

You can prob. just leave her as is. If you can get a large cardboard shoe box , cut one end off + place it over her if possible to act as a cave. If she's already partway obstructed by cage decor then even a semi thick layer of newspaper like a tent over her can make her feel more secure.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22895
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:27 pm

AHBD wrote:You can prob. just leave her as is. If you can get a large cardboard shoe box , cut one end off + place it over her if possible to act as a cave. If she's already partway obstructed by cage decor then even a semi thick layer of newspaper like a tent over her can make her feel more secure.


Yes, I left her as she was and it was all fine. She laid 21 eggs this time, the most ever! Thanks.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby claudiusx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Just stopping by again to show my support for you and Liz. Hopefully she gives both of you some relief soon!
If it wasn't for AHBD posting about a dragon laying 8 clutches in 1 season, i would've said liz is tied for the most i've ever seen in 1 :study:

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15139
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 am

claudiusx wrote:Just stopping by again to show my support for you and Liz. Hopefully she gives both of you some relief soon!
If it wasn't for AHBD posting about a dragon laying 8 clutches in 1 season, i would've said liz is tied for the most i've ever seen in 1 :study:

-Brandon


Thank you so much! We certainly were not expecting this. Last fall when she first laid eggs she only laid 7!
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby claudiusx » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 am

lizdragon wrote:
claudiusx wrote:Just stopping by again to show my support for you and Liz. Hopefully she gives both of you some relief soon!
If it wasn't for AHBD posting about a dragon laying 8 clutches in 1 season, i would've said liz is tied for the most i've ever seen in 1 :study:

-Brandon


Thank you so much! We certainly were not expecting this. Last fall when she first laid eggs she only laid 7!

I guess that was all the confidence and experience she needed! :laughing6:
They sure are funny creatures sometimes :D

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15139
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:33 pm

If anyone's curious to know, Liz is currently laying her FIFTH clutch at the moment. I feel like we're on our way to breaking a record here! :lol:
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Ah geez, she must be exhausted!
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 24397
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:48 pm

And now Liz is laying clutch #6. It's only been 21 days since her last clutch. Will this ever end? :?
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby claudiusx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Dang Liz! I was hoping your next update would be that shes finally taking a break! How has she been holding up?

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15139
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:02 pm

claudiusx wrote:Dang Liz! I was hoping your next update would be that shes finally taking a break! How has she been holding up?

-Brandon


She's doing okay! It's sort of become a routine at this point. She acts and eats normally for a few weeks, then her appetite suddenly decreases and she becomes very restless. A few days later she will usually lay eggs. Luckily ever since the first clutch of the season her appetite has never completely gone away. The only thing that's a bit unfortunate is that we keep having to cancel our plans, so that we can make sure she's okay. I'm crossing my fingers this is her last clutch of the season.
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Took my beardie to a specialist; left with more question

Postby lizdragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am

Another day, another batch of eggs. This is #7 if anyone's curious. At least she's very consistent! She likes doing this every three weeks it seems. :)
lizdragon
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]