Brumation??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned my beardie for about 3/4 weeks now, and I'm just wondering when he'll go into brumation? He's 2 years old, a good weight and in good shape. I live in the UK, and right now temperatures are averaging about 68 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Over the past few days, I've noticed he's become a little more lazy, in that he sleeps/lies around a bit more often. Before, he used to scratch at the walls of his tank constantly and tap at the glass to come out, or move from his basking spot and climb around on his logs. He hasn't been doing that for the past couple of days, he just digs a small spot in his substrate (currently sand but will be changed tomorrow) and settles down for hours. He's fine with being handled and being let out in my room, and two days ago he had a massive increase in appetite which has reduced back down to normal now (he doesn't eat much usually). He is shedding a little bit, and he had a loose scale on his tail this morning that looked dark red, and came off easily when I knocked it with my finger (I'm not sure whether it was stained from his tomatoes because he sits in his food bowl often).

Is it possible he's going into brumation, or something like that? I don't really understand the whole process of brumation and what I'm supposed to do if that's the case. His beard is always a nice bright orange, so I don't think he's ill or feeling unwell.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
beaniethebeardie":fklgp4ib said:
I don't really understand the whole process of brumation and what I'm supposed to do if that's the case.

I'm not sure anyone does--even the dragons! :lol:

Brumation is nothing to worry about; you don't have to do much--just make sure water & occasional food are available, keep an eye out for anything abnormal (stool, behavior, appearance, etc.) in the event it's something else, and possibly change the lighting. I expect in the UK he may brumate, but it seems a bit early (or late; some brumate according to your seasons; some according to their--Australian--seasons). Different individuals can have different (long/short) brumations, and some don't at all. Lots of threads here on the subject; try the search facility, and skip the ads... :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is highly possible he is trying to slow down due to the seasons. If the days are getting shorter
as they are here in the US, that's usually what sparks them to slow down.
As long as he isn't losing weight, lethargic to the point where he is acting ill or has a dark beard,
he should be fine. You could always consider getting a fecal done on him to be sure he doesn't
have worms or parasites.
Are you using a good UVB light for him?

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Tracie that you should take a fecal to be checked for parasites because a parasite infestation can mimic brumation so it's important to have that done first before deciding that it is indeed brumation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can read the article on this website about brumation --------under Articles Behavior and Anatomy on left side of this page called Bearded Dragon Brumation and I think there is a article on the front page of this website
Karrie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes you're right Karrie, that's a good article, another moderator wrote it a while back :)

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
I thought he was going into brumation, but today he seems perfectly normal, napping a lot less and being a bit more active. So I’m very confused haha

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They also can just simply go through moods. Just like us some days are better than others lol.
It's good to be proactive about it, but there isnt always and answer :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom