Please advise - won’t eat Veggies OR bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
To be honest, the dr did not sound too confident that the senior vet, or remaining pathology results, are going to explain anything else. I’m hoping maybe they can offer some answers, because from what the vet told me, I have to deal with the fact that-

1). Putting Rygel to sleep was the best and only option.
2). If I had taken him in a year ago, they possibly may have given him an antibiotic injection that would have fought off the infection before it could overwhelm him.
3). Rygel may not have been feeling well for almost a year, and I had no idea. My boy was sick and I didn’t help him. I feel like I let him down.

As for how I’m doing (thank you for asking) - I’m trying to take it one day at a time. I still find myself reaching out to pet him, as it was always our routine that he sat under his basking lamp in the living room next to my arm chair every morning whilst I worked. The other day I had some stressful issues to deal with, reached out a hand without thinking to pet him, and broke my heart all over again when he wasn’t there. Today has been rough, but I knew it would be - 2 weeks since I had him put to sleep, and not very conclusive necropsy results.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry, that's tough. But it just goes to show how much you loved him. And like I've told you before, that's more than a lot of beardies get while on this world.

BrightStar":1rpf4wl6 said:
1). Putting Rygel to sleep was the best and only option.
2). If I had taken him in a year ago, they possibly may have given him an antibiotic injection that would have fought off the infection before it could overwhelm him.
3). Rygel may not have been feeling well for almost a year, and I had no idea. My boy was sick and I didn’t help him. I feel like I let him down.

1. Was a definitely. there is no doubt in my mind that you made the correct decision.
And in regards to 2 and 3... if there is anything my time here has taught me it's that dragons are very good at hiding things when things are wrong. Almost ungodly good at it. A lot of times when there is outward signs, it's either been going on for a very long time, or it's gotten so bad that it will be hard to come back from.

Point is, there is no way you, or me, or even tracie could have ever known that he was potentially sick for so long. No amount of expertise would have allowed for that. They are simply just too good at hiding those things. So please dont wonder what if. It's just one of their quarks that we have to deal with.

Plus, you did more than many are willing to. I know it's hard and it will just take time. Hang in there we are still here for you :)

-Brandon

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After a lot of waiting, the dr called me today to go over everything in Rygel’s necropsy report.

Unfortunately, there was nothing very conclusive. Inflammatory cells were found in pancreas and GI tract. They noted Coelumitis of the coelum and Candida in the liver. They also found something called hepatic lipidosis in the liver, but she couldn’t say if that was a symptom, or a result of him not eating because of illness.

The thing that’s puzzling them the most are the neurological signs Rygel developed at the end. Gross examination of the brain was apparently normal, and they didn’t find any viral or inflammatory cells in any brain samples they took. Yet Rygel clearly displayed some very neurological like symptoms at the end. The vet commented that many of them she and her colleagues had never seen in reptiles before.

The vet stressed how well reptiles hide their symptoms until it is too late, and the more experienced exotics vet had advised her that in cases like Rygel’s, where there aren’t really any obvious symptoms or signs of illness in blood work, oftentimes when a necropsy is performed, many such animals are found with coelomitis and other general signs of inflammation and sepsis. Yet there’s no real answer as to the cause.

Once again, I was assured there was nothing I could have done, and the dr assured me that had Rygel been hers, she probably would have done the same as I did and the outcome would have been the same. Now that the wait for answers is over, I have Rygel’s memorial set up in the garden and his keepsake box with his ashes, paw print and blanket in a nice place on my dresser, I feel a little lost. Following up with all the “after death” stuff allowed me to keep a connection with Rygel that almost felt like I was still caring for him. Now that’s done, I’m left feeling a little sad.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the update. I was hoping we'd hear something soon.

I'm sorry it really gives no answers. But at least you can feel better knowing there really wasnt anything you can do. The vet is right, they are very good at hiding their symptoms. You couldn't have known.

I understand what you mean in the regards to still caring for him with this after death stuff. It's like you were still fighting for him. But then fight is over now, his fight and yours. You've done all you can do and now you can begin to heal.
I still am so amazed at what the vets did for you in regards to the little memorial. That's something special you'll always have.

Remember, we are all still here for you. A lot of us have gone through things like this so we know how it can be.
Hope things start to heal for you!

-Brandon

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you again for your kind words and support, Brandon. It really has made a difference during a difficult time and given me a place to turn to. Rygel will always have a beardie sized place in my heart, and what happened to him will leave me having to accept that some questions will never be answered.

Yesterday, we welcomed a new baby beardie into our family, and I’ll be posting an introduction thread for him soon. Adding a new baby will never replace Rygel, and I don’t want him to. Rygel was my special little boy and I still get teary when I think of him. But this new baby has a place of his own in my heart.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry about Rygel, memories will always be there that can flood us with emotion and this is still fresh for you. It IS good to hear that you have a new little critter to care for and fill your days with beardie things and new happy times. :) I truly hope he lives a long + healthy life and I look forward to seeing his into !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
HI there,

How exciting! I Agree, they always leave holes in our hearts. The new dragons never fill those holes, but they have a way of digging into their own little spot in our heart. Just like they deserve.
I can't wait to see your new guy! I'm happy for you!

-Brandon

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, all.

My new baby certainly was never intended to replace Rygel. I’ve been careful to allow myself time to grieve, and my heart begin to heal .

Here’s a link to my new baby’s introduction thread - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=251261

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Already posted!

I'm like a mad man constantly refreshing waiting to see when we get to meet Walter! :mrgreen:
Walter will have his own special place in your heart, I'm sure of it.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom