Super Bummed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I’ve been preparing all week to bring home my first beardie... the local Petco had exactly what I wanted, a juvenile of lovely color (I have no idea what morph, but it definitely wasn’t your typical gray-brown wild type... more yellow with orange markings). I’d been in every day to visit, and finally got to set up my tank last night. Right after work today I ran straight to the grocery store to pick up collard greens - then headed to Petco.

I bet you can guess where this is going, huh?

Yup. “My” beardie had been sold less than an hour before I got there, and all that was left were some new finger-long babies. I could have cried!

Oh well... there’s a reptile show nearby on September 8, and I’ll try my luck there; I am just super bummed right now! Sigh...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dang that sucks!
But, things usually happen for a reason. This will just make everything all the more special when you finally get yours!

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If you're a believer that sometimes things can happen for a reason, this may have been a good thing.
Prevailing wisdom is not to get a BD from a pet chain (I've been tempted myself, but I resisted); This site, others, YT, and other social media are teeming with admonitions why not to.
Google: why not to buy a bearded dragon from (and read the drop-downs before hitting Enter). :)

One thing I'll add is that they don't seem to know what they're selling (morph-wise) nor do they care. I usually see them labeled "Bearded Dragons" and "Fancy Bearded Dragons"... Ooh, "Fancy"--must be worth the extra $20 cuz they're rare or something... :roll: I fell into the same trap many years ago buying "Fancy" hamsters and "Fancy" guinea pigs (Abyssinian & Peruvian). Didn't know what I bought until I looked it up in a guinea pig book. :oops:

I see you're thinking about going to a reptile show. Good! I'm going to my first tomorrow, but I don't intend to buy anything then & there either. See my post on First Reptile Show
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=250932

This may all turn out for the better in the long run--you'll be more prepared, and both of you will be happier. :D

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the words of consolation, guys. I appreciate them! I do believe things happen for a reason, so I'm trying to tell myself this is for the best. And I know that Daichu Dragons, a good reputable breeder, will be at the show on 9/8, so I'll be making a beeline for their table... hope they'll be bringing something older than the babies I saw today at Petco! I really don't want to start off with a tiny, tiny dragon... they're so fragile!

At any rate, I'm going to go do something other than sit and stare glumly at my empty tank. It's going to be a long two weeks, methinks.

~Chris

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What is worth having is worth waiting for.
I've been waiting for nearly 2 years for a captive bred juvenile eastern water skink to show up for sale , and even longer for a captive bred breeding pair of juvenile shingleback skinks.

In the meal time , establish your
BSFL breeding setup
silkworm breeding colony
cricket colonies
roach colonies
continue boning up on bearded dragon husbandry and make sure everything is perfectly set up.

I'd be contacting genuine breeders who have captive breeding programs ( some of them on this board ) and asking
1) do they have any holdovers ( juveniles or subadults if you want a young dragon who's bigger and less flighty and more settled and laid back )
2) do they have clutches of hatchlings and when these hatched (give or take a few weeks) and the sizes (grams and inches (TTS)) and the genders of the available
and READY to be rehomed hatchlings , ask to see pictures of the hatchlings from above and from the side , ask to see photos of the mom and dad dragon.

I wouldn't be buying from a petshop.
I wouldn't be buying from a fly by night trader at a reptile show.
I wouldn't be buying from Craigs List selling unless you are well equipped to deal with reptile health issues.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1k6ms2s4 said:
What is worth having is worth waiting for.
:snip: I wouldn't be buying from a petshop.
I wouldn't be buying from a fly by night trader at a reptile show.
I wouldn't be buying from Craigs List selling unless you are well equipped to deal with reptile health issues.

Thanks for the input... you’re right, a good dragon is worth waiting for. I’m leery of herp shows for the reason you cite, plus the chances of disease, but Daichu Dragons has a pretty good reputation from what I’ve been able to determine... they definitely are no fly-by-night. I’ve also contacted Fire and Ice Dragons. Terri, the breeder, just rewrote the Bearded Dragon Manual and seems pretty well respected in the dragon community. She has one young dragon currently in shed that’s in my price range... but no pictures, which makes me leery. I don’t want to buy sight unseen, even from an excellent breeder.

Is there a list of good breeders anywhere on this site, or should I just make a post asking?

-Chris

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are a couple threads on it. Dachiu is definitely a great breeder. One of mine is from them. I'd be weary of fire and ice though. They've been around a long time but people have had some problems with her.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":h5e5yhvr said:
I’m leery of herp shows for the reason you cite, plus the chances of disease
Not all herp show vendors are fly-by-nighters; in fact, Dachiu will be at one of the shows we'll be attending. Much more to report/review, but I'll put that in the First Reptile Show thread I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom