First Meals for New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Hi - I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare. It's a juvie, not a baby, and looks to be about 8-9" long including tail. More insects, or more salad - or both?

~Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is still young - let him eat as many insect in 10-15 minutes as he can dusted w/ calcium d3 - and then offer him a salad as well -- collards mustard greens and turnip greens - all 3 mixed if you have it or just one -- some zucchini or yellow squash if you have that as well -- you can wash the greens before serving to give them moisture for hydration
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":3ko19q8h said:
I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare.

Smoked Hog Jowl with Pickles & Chutney,
Pappardelle with Sea Urchin and Cauliflower,
Baby black-eyed peas in Beaujolais Sauce,
and Baked Alaska for Desert. :D

But seriously, what Karrie said sounds fine. I hear dandelion greens are really good for them too, but get them from your grocer/supermarket--not the back yard. (pesticides, parasites, etc.)
Check out the link in the Beardie Nutrition thread. :wink:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":tm4dtdr7 said:
He is still young - let him eat as many insect in 10-15 minutes as he can dusted w/ calcium d3 - and then offer him a salad as well -- collards mustard greens and turnip greens - all 3 mixed if you have it or just one -- some zucchini or yellow squash if you have that as well -- you can wash the greens before serving to give them moisture for hydration

Thank you- I’ll stop off at the grocery store before picking him up!

-Chris

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3rv0yxvc said:

Hahahahaha! That would be living the high life!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ComicBookMama":3dgrd2fw said:
MrSpectrum":3dgrd2fw said:

Hahahahaha! That would be living the high life!

One way or another, they always force their slaves into giving them the high life... just you wait and see... :laughing6:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":r4fxb8ba said:
One way or another, they always force their slaves into giving them the high life... just you wait and see... :laughing6:

I just got this weird visual of a bunch of beardies wearing aprons & chef's hats, slaving over a hot stove on some gourmet cooking show... :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Close, but you're the one in the chef hat and they are the ones watching YOU cook for THEM! Haha. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I got that. It's just the way my mind works--a constant stream of visuals, clips, & quotes from old movies & TV shows (child of the '50s & '60s)--like the main character in HBOs Dream On ('90-'96). :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ComicBookMama":2ayu3jmy said:
Hi - I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare. It's a juvie, not a baby, and looks to be about 8-9" long including tail. More insects, or more salad - or both?

~Chris

Treat it as a hatchling, at 8 - 9 inches long it's less than 3-4 months old.
I'd get
LARGE white very wriggly BSFL
silkworms ( about 1.5" long )
crickets ( 1/3 size ) or similar sized roaches or locusts.

2 feeds per day of live insects ( ie morning and afternoon ( at least 2 hour before lights out ). 3 insect feeds per day if you can manage it.
Offer fresh salad ( In the afternoon ) may not show any interest ( don't fret if it ignores the greens , left over greens go to the crickets to gut load them ).

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3hrnt22n said:
ComicBookMama":3hrnt22n said:
Treat it as a hatchling, at 8 - 9 inches long it's less than 3-4 months old.
I'd get
LARGE white very wriggly BSFL
silkworms ( about 1.5" long )
crickets ( 1/3 size ) or similar sized roaches or locusts.

2 feeds per day of live insects ( ie morning and afternoon ( at least 2 hour before lights out ). 3 insect feeds per day if you can manage it.
Offer fresh salad ( In the afternoon ) may not show any interest ( don't fret if it ignores the greens , left over greens go to the crickets to gut load them ).

Thanks for the input - I will make sure I have plenty of insects on hand!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":3c2zp9nq said:
Thanks for the input - I will make sure I have plenty of insects on hand!
That was another interesting part of the reptile show we attended--lots of fresh feeder insects I never saw at local pet supplies--and at much more reasonable prices. It may take a little scheduling/guesswork with amounts and how long they'll survive, but until you can figure out what s/he'll eat and an ordering schedule (or breeding colony) it may be a short-term solution. I'll have to do the same fairly soon. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom