New Beardie Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I'm getting ready to bring home my first beardie in the next two days. I knew that you need to give new dragons some time to settle in to their new digs, but a friend told me that you shouldn't handle them for the first two weeks. Is this good information? How long is a good "settling in" period?

Thanks for any insights!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Its personal preference, and take it with how your dragon is acting.

I personally like to keep handling to a minimum for the first week, but sometimes I can tell they dont mind it. It's all situation dependent.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've heard/read some "experts" say a couple weeks, while other "experts" say (paraphrasing) jump right in--seemingly in equal numbers, so Brandon is probably close to the mark.
We're all going to have to learn how to "read" our BD's body language; might as well start from day one. Like your other pets, you'll spend some time trying to read/learn about each other for a while.
There are also plenty of articles & videos online, which have all their authors' own PsOV. While I was digging into this, I found some experts I thought were well-grounded, and some I thought were... well, a bit flakey (just like other pet "experts"). One article/video won't always tell the story, but after reading/viewing a few, I think you'll get a feel for whose information/opinions you trust.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, guys - I'll give the new dragon a week or so of peace (shouldn't be hard, since I'll be launching a new school year and will be exhausted!) before trying any handling.

~Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom