I don't know what to do anymore, someone please help me! ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdyGamer100

Ok, so i got Abby on July 13th. She's a baby citrus bearded dragon and everything was fine until the 1st week in August. During the 1st week of August, Abby was eating less and less and I was starting to get concerned, but assumed she would eat if I left the food in the cage and she did, but still less than she should've been eating. Being concerned for her health I decided to take her to the vet. My 1st appointment was on the 9th of August, however I couldn't go cause I went to Peru with my cousins, sister, and grandfather, so my mother and girlfriend took Abby. There they discovered that she had low Protozoan levels and they put her on medicine to normalize the levels. While I was gone, my parents told me she was still refusing to eat and they had to force feed her, but she STILL refused to eat and used her tongue to block food. I got back on the 17th and I took her back to the vet on the 20th. I went to the vet and Abby still is refusing to eat, she looks super malnourished and I was freaking out. The vet told me I had to force feed her Critical Care using a syringe and I've been force feeding her for 2 days now and all that is doing is stressing her out and it's making me uncomfortable and she still looks horrible and in fact it looks like she's super stressed and i just don't know what else to do. She also used to be super active when I took her outside for walks and would run up and down my hand/arm, but now she just lies there and doesn't move, doesn't bask, doesn't eat, even when I take her outside with me. I'm extremely worried and scared and don't know what else to do. Someone, please help me. I really want her to flourish and be happy.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Could you go over a few items with us so we can make sure that your setup is good first?

What type of uvb bulb are you using? Please be specific here. If you have the box still that would help.
What wre the temperatures in your tank? Mainly what is your basking surface temp?
What are you using to measure your temperatures.

What did her daily diet look like before she started acting sickly?

Do you know what was prescribed to her and in what dose?

If you can it would be great to see a pic of your tank and Abby.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

So sorry to hear Abby's not doing well. Temperature, lighting, and UV are all very important for beardie health to help them digest food and metabolize nutrients, so if you can start there, it'd give the more experienced folks here an idea of where to start trying to help. Please be as descriptive as you can with what kind of lighting you have (brands, bulbs, fixtures, wattage), how you take temperatures in her cage (dial thermometer, probe, IR gun), how long you've had the bulbs (they do wear out), etc. Pictures also help. You can upload them using the User Image Uploader link at the top of the forum. Once uploaded, use the XIMG button above the post window to put them in your response.

NerdyGamer100

Original Poster
105725-2113553472.jpg
claudiusx":2jdhtu0m said:
Hi there,

Could you go over a few items with us so we can make sure that your setup is good first?

What type of uvb bulb are you using? Please be specific here. If you have the box still that would help.
What wre the temperatures in your tank? Mainly what is your basking surface temp?
What are you using to measure your temperatures.

What did her daily diet look like before she started acting sickly?

Do you know what was prescribed to her and in what dose?

If you can it would be great to see a pic of your tank and Abby.

-Brandon

I want to say I was using the UVB 150 Exo Terra Bulb. The temps in my tank were ranging between 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Basking Temp was 105 degrees Fahrenheit. I was using a gauge my parents bought online while I was away, but I just bought digital thermometers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJWW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to help better measure temperature. Her Daily diet was mostly crickets, thus the increased protozoan levels, meal worms occasionally, and salads every day. They gave me Metronidazole, 0.25 ML by mouth every 48 hours.
105709-363179967.jpg
105706-8996850084.jpg
105725-2113553472.jpg

NerdyGamer100

Original Poster
NerdyGamer100":2r613sq1 said:
Ok, so i got Abby on July 13th. She's a baby citrus bearded dragon and everything was fine until the 1st week in August. During the 1st week of August, Abby was eating less and less and I was starting to get concerned, but assumed she would eat if I left the food in the cage and she did, but still less than she should've been eating. Being concerned for her health I decided to take her to the vet. My 1st appointment was on the 9th of August, however I couldn't go cause I went to Peru with my cousins, sister, and grandfather, so my mother and girlfriend took Abby. There they discovered that she had low Protozoan levels and they put her on medicine to normalize the levels. While I was gone, my parents told me she was still refusing to eat and they had to force feed her, but she STILL refused to eat and used her tongue to block food. I got back on the 17th and I took her back to the vet on the 20th. I went to the vet and Abby still is refusing to eat, she looks super malnourished and I was freaking out. The vet told me I had to force feed her Critical Care using a syringe and I've been force feeding her for 2 days now and all that is doing is stressing her out and it's making me uncomfortable and she still looks horrible and in fact it looks like she's super stressed and i just don't know what else to do. She also used to be super active when I took her outside for walks and would run up and down my hand/arm, but now she just lies there and doesn't move, doesn't bask, doesn't eat, even when I take her outside with me. I'm extremely worried and scared and don't know what else to do. Someone, please help me. I really want her to flourish and be happy.

Update I woke up today and discovered Abby was dead... I spent 2 hours crying before coming here to the forums to respond and say anything on the matter. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner... I even bought her a bigger terrarium, hoping she was just stressed and wanted more space to move around.
105771-4910342088.jpg
I found it on offer up with all the decorations along with more lights, hoping it would help. As I was finishing setting it up, I picked up Abby and she didn't react at all and I didn't see her breathing. I then held her under the heating lamp and put her in the basking spot and she still refused to move for 20 minutes. I'm just going to take some time and relax cause just writing this is making me want to cry again. Thank you for all your help everyone, but
I don't think I want another bearded dragon any time soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry to hear about Abby--- I dont have a clue as to what the protozoan levels are I guess something new for me to learn--- but I wanted to say correct lighting plays a huge part in the dragons life - I am sure her being sick did not help but since you went out and bought all this stuff for her I am guessing you may try again after you have had time to grieve for Abby--- if so Coil UVB's are not the way to go --- just a heads up for future reference --- but please I know how you feel after losing a dragon in the past and learning from my mistake as well --- again I am sorry about Abby - :(
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry about your loss of Abby, it is an awful feeling. My condolences to you. :cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom