Can anyone Recommend a good Dimming Thermostat for Heat Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

Right now i have my heat lamp on a manual dimmer, and it works great for creating the correct "range" of basking temps (103-107 Deg.). But depending on the day, and the sunlight coming into my bedroom, the basking temps may rise and fall slightly. I would like to get a dimming thermostat, so that I can be sure no matter what the temp is in my apartment, the basking temps will always be perfect!

I'm not overly concerned with price, as quality is my main concern. But with all things, if there's an economically priced option that has been tested and recommended by lots of other owners, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that would be preferred!

Edit: has anyone used, or had good luck with something like this? http://www.lllreptile.com/products/...bfpFrGq0TDzZWItOaDUDNnByzX2tDz-RoCxdoQAvD_BwE

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used that exo-terra but it should do the trick. You want a dimming option for the basking light and on/off/pulse is OK for a CHE or heat projector at night. If you want to just control the basking light during the day, a single outlet option should do. If you want to control a second bulb (or a bulb and CHE together) or have one bulb run during the day and a CHE overnight etc then a dual outlet option is better. I have a Herpstat 2 and it works well. I use it to control the basking light during the day with one probe reading and the heat projector at night with the second probe reading.

Rschasch

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2m47lf77 said:
I haven't used that exo-terra but it should do the trick. You want a dimming option for the basking light and on/off/pulse is OK for a CHE or heat projector at night. If you want to just control the basking light during the day, a single outlet option should do. If you want to control a second bulb (or a bulb and CHE together) or have one bulb run during the day and a CHE overnight etc then a dual outlet option is better. I have a Herpstat 2 and it works well. I use it to control the basking light during the day with one probe reading and the heat projector at night with the second probe reading.

That honestly looks perfect! I'm now looking at the herpstat 1 since my apartments temps have been good and constant for the nighttime, even in the winter!

If I could be a bother, and ask how you set yours up that would be awesome! Do you set the probe near the basking area and have it control the temps that way? Or would i be better off picking a spot near the basking area and having it monitor the ambient temps?

Currently i just set the thermometer probe right on the basking rock directly underneath the basking light, but Im worried if i do that with a thermostat, and then he lays on the probe then it will crank up the temp on the lights.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have the probe for the basking spot attached to the basking log with a rubber band to keep it in place. The temps are in a pretty decent range when the bulb is at full output (adjusted via height) so the bulb only dims once in a while to fine tune it - reduces the risk of overheating. Also there is a good gradient so if it gets too hot he'll just move.

In my setup I have the second probe and that just sits on the floor of the tank on the cool side. It gives me a reading of the gradient at a glance which is nice. The second probe controls the heat projector which comes on at 68 and off at 73 as needed. The basking light is set to ramp on over half an hour and have a range of 100-103 (at the probe) and then ramp down at the end of the day (built in feature).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom