Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the size of them in relation to the dragon really. But I would only feed a few a week. They have a lot of water content and can cause loose runny stools if fed too much.

That price is what I'd call average if buying from a petstore. Online you can find them much cheaper. Cups of 25 for 10-15 bucks not including shipping.

-Brandon

Jaxson

Original Poster
Thank you

claudiusx":3rrqrwv5 said:
It depends on the size of them in relation to the dragon really. But I would only feed a few a week. They have a lot of water content and can cause loose runny stools if fed too much.

That price is what I'd call average if buying from a petstore. Online you can find them much cheaper. Cups of 25 for 10-15 bucks not including shipping.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've seen them anywhere from $1 - $4 ea., depending on quantity.

Got any tomato-growing neighbors? They usually kill 'em on sight, but if you have a l'il chat... (bring cookies!) Of course, this is only good through tomato season (which is upon us now!)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrSpectrum":1rffb1zw said:
I've seen them anywhere from $1 - $4 ea., depending on quantity.

Got any tomato-growing neighbors? They usually kill 'em on sight, but if you have a l'il chat... (bring cookies!) Of course, this is only good through tomato season (which is upon us now!)

Wild hornworms are actually poisonous due to the fact they eat the tomato plant. Captive bred hornworms are fed a special diet.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":180lfaoi said:
Wild hornworms are actually poisonous

I did not know that. (I wonder why I never came across it before?) :shock:
Thanks for the correction--I'll keep that in mind.

And I wonder why it wasn't added to the ubiquitous TOXIC INSECTS FOR BEARDED DRAGONS thread? (Hint, hint :wink: )

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They aren't as bad as some other bugs (such as lightning bugs). The toxin in them isnt readily absorbed in the GIT so it isnt necessarily a death sentence. But, the poison is in the dose. Eat enough of them and the dose will be high enough to cause some serious issues. 1 that gets accidentally ingested might only cause temporary discomfort for them.

Still, it's another reason why it's always a good idea to have some activated charcoal in your beardie emergency kit! :)

-Brandon

Jaxson

Original Poster
What does activated charcoal do??????

claudiusx":1k65v4wx said:
They aren't as bad as some other bugs (such as lightning bugs). The toxin in them isnt readily absorbed in the GIT so it isnt necessarily a death sentence. But, the poison is in the dose. Eat enough of them and the dose will be high enough to cause some serious issues. 1 that gets accidentally ingested might only cause temporary discomfort for them.

Still, it's another reason why it's always a good idea to have some activated charcoal in your beardie emergency kit! :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When ingested, it helps absorb and neutralize toxins/medicines/etc. In the gut. So it can help save your dragon if it were to ever eat something it shouldn't. Or even help if one day you accidentally gave too much of a parasite medication for example. :)

-Brandon

Jaxson

Original Poster
Ok cool. Thanks!!!!!

claudiusx":ngt8zbg1 said:
When ingested, it helps absorb and neutralize toxins/medicines/etc. In the gut. So it can help save your dragon if it were to ever eat something it shouldn't. Or even help if one day you accidentally gave too much of a parasite medication for example. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom