Louie the bearded dragon

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Louie the bearded dragon

Postby BeardedMabel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53 pm

so, today i took him to the vet, he did a very good job. [Click image to enlarge]

while i was there he said he was a healthy guy and that he was probably lazy due to how hes a little chubby. 650 grams. he actually said to me that i probably didnt need to do a fecal because everything seemed fine, but he ended up going on the exam table so i asked him to just test it now while i was there just in case. as i thought, my poor baby has pin worms and flagellates parasite. he said he doesnt know bearded dragons enough off the top of his head to identify the exact type, i guess? he kinda seemed like he didnt know 100% what he was doing, he use to own a beardie and thats where he got all his knowledge from, but its all i have around here. he gave him a dose of 16 ML of Panacur and he said to give him 16 ML once a week for the next two weeks and then come back and see if it cleared it up. he said this was going to be like chemo for him, which really scared me.. i asked about risks and he said not to worry about any other then lack of appetite or depression. im a bit worried and would love if someone could reply to ease my concern.
[Click image to enlarge]

he also said that it probably came from my dubia colony and i should throw it out, but hes been showing these symptoms way before i established my colony. i think its more likely he had it when i got him but he didnt think so.
do i need to get rid of my whole colony? itll break my heart. also, is there any other advice anyone can give me please?
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby krba201076 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:30 pm

I believe a lot of beardies are born with parasites.

My baby had them before I even started feeding him from my dubia colony so it didn't come from that.

My beardie tolerated Panacur very well.
Checkout my new video on saving money on caring for your reptiles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9iVnvnaQM
krba201076
Hatchling Poster

Postby BeardedMabel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:06 pm

is there anything i should get him to help keep the good bacteria up, or provide him some vitamins?
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby krba201076 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:41 pm

BeardedMabel wrote:is there anything i should get him to help keep the good bacteria up, or provide him some vitamins?

when he was on Panacur, I fed him as usual. About 3 times a week, he got his food dusted with multivitamin. Everyday, he gets his calcium powder on his insects. I didn't give him anything different when he was on Panacur. I considered yogurt, but I heard somewhere that beardies cannot digest dairy really well. So, I decided against it.

But I am no vet, I hope someone else chimes in with their experience.

Good luck with Louie!
Checkout my new video on saving money on caring for your reptiles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9iVnvnaQM
krba201076
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Just got all caught up on Louie!

Sucks that the vet seemed to not know what he was doing. Dragons usually DO have a small amount of parasites in their systems. But, as long as they are healthy the numbers stay in check. You usually only treat for parasites if the numbers get out of hand.

That being said, Panacur isn't too harsh compared to some options.
Some soy yogurt works well for good gut bacteria.

You don't need to get rid of your colony, at least I wouldn't!

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby BeardedMabel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 pm

my big hunk of love

[Click image to enlarge]
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby vrenee1018 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am

:blob5: :blob8: :blob5:
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BeardedMabel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:14 am

got him a couple things for his tank, some fleece to lay on and a couple “toys” and instead of playing with it, he lays on the ping pong ball! never seen a lazier animal in my life. [Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by BeardedMabel on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby vrenee1018 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 am

That's so cute. I tried giving my little one a bouncy ball. She just stared at it and walked away. Not amused at all. Haha He looks all happy healthy 😊
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
vrenee1018
Juvie Poster

Postby BeardedMabel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 am

Looks like he's liking the new additions haha! :mrgreen:
I love when they are hanging out with that "proud" look about them.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby BeardedMabel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 am

hes funny, i put the chew toy in there because while he was running around my room he attacked it and wouldnt leave it alone. i think he likes the bright red color. he cant really do anything with it im sure ill end up taking it back out 😂 but he defiantly doesn't care about the ping pong ball. im out of ideas to try to stimulate him and get him moving, i dont know.
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 pm

It seems the only way I can get mine to move around is to drop a worm on the other side of the tank. Then they act like they are Usain Bolt! LOL

I do want to work on getting all mine some more stuff in their tanks too. Right now they are all pretty bare-bones :oops:

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales