Length of UVB Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
What size fixture should I be looking for in a UVB fluorescent fixture for a 40B tank? I can find plenty of inexpensive 24” fixtures, but can’t find a 36” for under $60; does the UVB have to run the full length of the tank?

Thanks!

Chris

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi chris,

It's better for the tube not to run the full length.

Are you going to be going with the t8 or the HO?

Either way, the 22/24" would be best :)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":26fd8ley said:
Hi chris,

It's better for the tube not to run the full length.

Are you going to be going with the t8 or the HO?

Either way, the 22/24" would be best :)

-Brandon

Thanks, Brandon... I’m still trying to get a fix on the difference between the T8 and the HO. What would you recommend?

Chris :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It all depends really on how you set the rest of your tank up.

The t8 needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking spot, unobstructed. So not on the mesh.

A t5 HO can be on top of the mesh since it's a much stronger output. In a 40g breeder you wont really have the height space to mount it inside as the t5 HOs will be too close. T5s should be 15"~ from the basking surface.

So to put it simply, get the t8 if you're going to be mounting it inside the tank.
Get the t5 HO if you will be placing it ontop of the mesh. :)

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It confused the heck out of me at first, until I studied the charts on Reptisun's site: https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf (PDF)

Counterintuitively (to me, anyway, until Brandon splained me), the thinner T5 bulb is stronger (more powerful?) than the larger dia. T8 bulb. (Different Tech)
If you study the charts carefully for your tank & situation, it should become apparent which is the best choice for you.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3595grqr said:
A t5 HO can be on top of the mesh since it's a much stronger output. In a 40g breeder you wont really have the height space to mount it inside as the t5 HOs will be too close. T5s should be 15"~ from the basking surface.

So to put it simply, get the t8 if you're going to be mounting it inside the tank.
Get the t5 HO if you will be placing it ontop of the mesh. :)

I think I'll go with the HO, then... I prefer not to have to mount a fixture inside the tank. Thanks for the tips! One more question: if the HO needs to be about 15" above the basking area, does that mean I shouldn't put a climbing branch in the tank? Would that put my beardie too close to the HO?

-Chris :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That recommendation is if the bulb is unobstructed. So if it's on the mesh the dragon will need to be closer. Around 8 inches or so at the basking spot would be good :)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2upk6i0g said:
That recommendation is if the bulb is unobstructed. So if it's on the mesh the dragon will need to be closer. Around 8 inches or so at the basking spot would be good :)

Thanks so much, Brandon! I'm getting my tank today and will be getting it set up and ready for my beardie, hopefully tomorrow or Saturday!

Best wishes,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom