Help, losing weight? Poop/vomit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury1212

Original Poster
Ok I took his hammock out completely and left the tree branch decor. The hammock was 7 inches from the bulb and the tree branch is 8 inches away. The tree branch temp is 96 degrees. I'm thinking put the hammock back in and use a cooler bulb? Thoughts?

Fury1212

Original Poster
Update: I changed the light bulb and put the hammock back up. He jumped up on the hammock. I put the probe end on his back and after 30mins it says 93 degrees.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With him lying on the hammock how close is the uvb? It looks a lot closer than 7 inches in your picture.

93 is a bit too cool. 95 is the bare minimum I'd use for an adult. I'd aim for around 100 if you can.

But remember you dont want him too close to the uvb either as the harsh rays will discourage him from basking also.

-Brandon

Fury1212

Original Poster
claudiusx":349w83ga said:
With him lying on the hammock how close is the uvb? It looks a lot closer than 7 inches in your picture.

93 is a bit too cool. 95 is the bare minimum I'd use for an adult. I'd aim for around 100 if you can.

But remember you dont want him too close to the uvb either as the harsh rays will discourage him from basking also.

-Brandon

65431-7158311270.jpg
So the furthest spot from the lamp is 7 inches, his head is a lot closer to the bulb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a bit small but you should hopefully be able to get some weight onto him.
One other thing is that your Reptisun 10 tube, it does need to be in a light fixture with a
reflective backing to it so that the UVB can be directed downward & onto him. When you
mount it in that manner, the UVB tends to refract away & outward from them so that they
don't receive the benefits from it.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Fury1212

Original Poster
Drache613":28qsajyn said:
Hello,

He is a bit small but you should hopefully be able to get some weight onto him.
One other thing is that your Reptisun 10 tube, it does need to be in a light fixture with a
reflective backing to it so that the UVB can be directed downward & onto him. When you
mount it in that manner, the UVB tends to refract away & outward from them so that they
don't receive the benefits from it.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Thank you for that reminder, ours ripped and I never replaced it. I didn’t realize or i forgot about the reflection! Also, I weighed him on a hard surface and he was 336 grams. Before I was weighing him on the carpet. Completely different weight! I feel so much better that he weighs over 300! I went to petsmart and bought him a new reptisun 10.0 since he was due for a new bulb. I also used a taller lamp we have and put the hotter bulb back in. I took out his hammock and now the basking spot on his tree branch is 106. His head is now 8 inches away from the basking bulb and his back is 11 inches away. I will get the reflective backing ASAP. I bought some repti-boost to feed him. I gave him a small dose today and a nice bath. He drinks so much water several times a week I would be very surprised if he was dehydrated. Im hoping the fat spots on his head rise again soon!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good! 336g is a much more acceptable weight! :mrgreen:
Fury1212":d4nbvwpk said:
took out his hammock and now the basking spot on his tree branch is 106. His head is now 8 inches away from the basking bulb and his back is 11 inches away.
That sounds perfect! Great job! i'm sure it will start to make a good change. I'm so happy you were able to work this out.

I really feel now that he has some proper temps that his digestion and absorbtion will be much better!

Keep us posted! :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fury1212":2k7pik36 said:
Update: I changed the light bulb and put the hammock back up. He jumped up on the hammock. I put the probe end on his back and after 30mins it says 93 degrees.

93 degrees Farenheit is OK as a basking temperature. Anything within 4 degrees Celsius of the dragon's preferred body temperature is good.

The POBT for bearded dragons is 36 degrees C.

I second , move the UV tube so one end of it is directly overtop the basking spot. Aim for about 160-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot ( ref to spec for your UV tube for the appropriate distance).
I don't see any evidence of metallic focusing reflector or hood , so the appropriate distance if the tube is a t5ho is 6 inches, a t8 is 3 inches.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
93 is not a good basking temperature. Literally you can go to any care guide ever made and not one will tell you that 93 degrees is a good basking temperature.

OP, you are doing fine with everything you've done so far. Keep it up :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some real observational / behavioural science regarding dragons and temperatures (rather than handwaving keeper behavior that's not based on science at all) :

temperature-response-of-p.png

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the chart is referring to preferred body temperature not preferred or optimal basking temperature.
Kinda says that right on the chart.
Or do you also suggest cooking your steaks in the oven at 145f because that's the temperature you want them to be?

Its also a 40 year old "observation"

Follow this link to an actual scientific study on body temperatures in the actual reptile we are discussing here.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=250943

-Brandon

Fury1212

Original Poster
He’s a different lizard today! He’s so bright that his belly is completely white and his body is super yellow! He had a healthy poop too????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom