Big enough for super worms?

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Big enough for super worms?

Postby Notta » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Idk if this should go here or feeders but if my beardie is around 5 months old (15 in long) is he big enough for super worms? crickets stink, roaches are expensive, mealworms suck. and if I recall superworms are a good staple.
Notta
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Big enough for super worms?

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

I would say not for a staple for a young beardie- maybe a adult- I would look at getting into BSFL-- here is a website you can order from just remember they are small and you would need to feed a lot of them https://symtonbsf.com/ you can check out this website for them as well as they also sell other stuff for beardies www.dubiarocaches.com-- they do charge shipping so if you order from there just make it worth your while - on that site they call them nutri grubs and they are full of calcium
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 pm

No , not at 5 months old.

Best to wait til about 12 months old as there is a very tight hairpin turn the GIT in hatchlings and juveniles that is prone to blockages and tends to straighten out as they become subadults.

Superworms are not an insect I'd use as staple anymore than I'd use mealworms as a staple for any bearded dragon.

Stick to crickets, roaches, BSFL (large) ,and in the case of your dragon any size silkworm over 1.5" long is fine (and can actually work out very economical as a feeder if you give a couple large silkworms per day as a staple ( a large silkworm is equivalent to 10 - 12 med crickets in mass )..
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 pm

You can feed appropriately sized supers if you want. I wouldn't feed the full grown ones though. I feed small supers to my babies and they go through just fine.

I agree though they shouldn't be a staple insect. But they fit the bill for adding in variety :)

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding