New bearded dragon won’t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So adjust the heat lamp- you need to get your basking area for him to around 105-110-- you have the UVB diagonal can you put it across width wise so he can move across his logs if he wants so he can just sit under the basking or UVB -- you can center the UVB in the middle of the tank and have the basking on the one side - you can move your decor around --- hes absorbing those UVB rays if hes just sitting in the one spot- but I would work on getting your basking temps up -- its just a matter of moving things around for him so he can get his temps that he needs and the UVB rays he needs -
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
His basking spot reaches the right temps. It’s just the spot under the UVB is 90. Does he need the UVB throughout the whole tank or just for the basking spot?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not really -- so he has a basking spot hotter than 90-? Then right now he is under the UVB as that is what he is needing at this point-- he will know to move to the hotter spot for basking if he needs to - so your good --- he needs the UVB to where he can directly sit under it for his rays --- if its not the whole tank that is fine but he does need to be able to get under it - my dragon has his basking spot and UVB in different areas of tank they are not together so he moves from one to the other as he needs to --- just keep an eye on his poops --- that will tell you if hes dehydrated and if hes digesting his food - they will be a white urate firm and solid and the poop will be formed -- if it is runny or extra water in it hes hydrated
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
Unfortunately he still won’t eat. Ive been trying to feed him myself but he just refuses. Will he need time to adjust to the UVB before he starts eating normally? It’s been two weeks since I’ve had him. I just leave a dish of crickets and veggies in the corner but won’t touch it. Tried offering live ones but he just takes no interest.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thats not good that hes not eating --- how are you taking basking temps? when was the last time he ate - he is probably going thru location stress but he should at least be eating something -- or a little - I need some one else to weigh in on this --- you may haft to feed him some baby food to get nutrients into him - hes probably weak from not eating --- I need Brandon or Tracie or AHBD on here to suggest what to feed him --- Tracie wont be on here till tonite -
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
I use a laser gun. Last time he ate was probably 3 days ago, I gave him some baby food and he ate a little bit. He seemed to like it but now he just doesn’t want it. Does it take time for him to adjust to new lighting to perk up and start eating?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry about your little guy, he does look pretty critical at this stage. I would strongly suggest putting him in a small temp. tank like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

In his condition he won't be able to locate or go after any food and does not have the will or strength to move around. Just put one small log in it. Offer small crickets but squish one and rub the guts on hs snout to see if he'll take it, it may work. Try to get him out in the sun, just set him in the grass next to you. He
's too weak to rn away and he may benefit from the strong uv from the sun.

sardemonlord

Original Poster
I really appreciate all of your guy’s advice. I will keep you guys updated if he does improve in the next few days.

sardemonlord

Original Poster
Hello, here is an update:
So the beardie was doing great at first and even ate a good bit of the chicken flavored baby food. I brought him out today and fed him some more, but I don’t know what’s wrong with him but he had his mouth open. I put him in his bath and he went limp, like his he wouldn’t lift up his head. He then went stiff and I thought he was dead. So I left him alone in the tank and he was walking around for a little, but his eyes are half closed and still is limp when I picked him up. He was breathing fine, but now his breathing is very shallow. I don’t know what I did wrong. He was just fine earlier.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It sounds like he is sick - I would get him in to vet ASAP - do you have a reptile vet in your area? He doesn't sound good
Karrie

sardemonlord

Original Poster
I’m not aware of any reptile vets in the area. I will have to research tonight. What are beardie’s behavior when asleep? Are they usually limp and in deep sleep?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am really not sure- I wish someone was on here to help you-- I would keep him warm over nite- like in the 80's- do the best you can - I hate hearing stories like this--- I wish I could help you more-call in morning and inquire about reptile vets
Karrie I

sardemonlord

Original Poster
Unfortunately, Sir Meliodas (beardie) passed away last night. I feel so guilty he died. I can’t help but beat myself over it. Thank you for all your advices. I will have to try again with another bearded dragon. I really do think he was a sick one from the beginning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry :(-- I feel so bad-- if you decide to try again please disinfect your tank out good chewy.com sells F 10 that is good-- again I am sad to hear
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry. :( It's so hard to lose a pet even if you haven't had it for too long but especially a baby. My heart goes out to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom