1 Year Old Bearded Dragon Diet Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewD

105743-7862465684.jpg

My lil guy is a little over 1 year old. I have a few questions about food and his poops.
How many crickets should I feed him and how often? he already gets plenty of salad everyday.
How do I know if his poops are healthy? sometimes they are a bit running, other times you can see some tiny pieces of veggies (i think thats what it is), & other times they look completely normal to me. most of the time it seems “normal”.

Ive never had a reptile until him & Ive had him for a year. He seems healthy & isnt acting weird at all but i just want to make sure im doing things right for this lil guy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would feed him insects 2 or 3 times per week and keep dusting them w/ calcium and vitamins - as long as his salad is good like feeding a variety of greens etc he should be good - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
what do you have your basking temps at ? and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun a digital probe or stick ons?
As long as hes eating his salad I would feed him as many insects as he will eat- you might want to try him on dubia roaches -- they are the healthiest staple feeder --- dust them the same-- they are also more filling than crickets--- the extra watery means he is hydrated - how is he getting his hydration? you can always wash his salad or greens before serving to him for water --some times if the basking temp is not up there they wont properly digest their food - what kind of UVB do you have brand and bulb please?
Karrie

AndrewD

Original Poster
His basking temp is usually in the 90’s, but thats the highest ive been able to get it. I got the temp with a digital probe. If it needs to be hotter than that how would i get it up higher? He loves taking baths & in that picture he was in the bath. I also wash off all of the food already and those two things are how he gets his water. His UVB (I believe but dont remember right now) is a Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Do I need to change any of this? I just want him to be happy & healthy as much as possible

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 bulb is more for an aquarium -- you can use it but its just as strong as the 10.0- where in the tank do you have it? is it inside the tank or on top of screen? You can raise your decor that he sits on for basking - I dont know how you have your tank set up post pics of it and we can better help if we see --- when you change the bulb out again which is 6 months from when you put it in get the 10.0 bulb-- its a T 8 --
Karrie

AndrewD

Original Poster
105743-3642673064.jpg

His UVB is on top of the screen along with his other lamp. I will definitely get the 10.0 for him soon. He just pooped again & there are definitely veggies in it that werent digested all the way. His basking spot is 91.4°F right now. The highest its ever gone is 95°F. Are there any more ways to get it hotter in there? Also what are some veggies that are good for daily use? Im trying new veggies to see what he likes so his salad isnt the same every day. I wanna give him some options.
(the tank is a bit all over the place since i just got new decor and am still positioning things but he seems to really like everything ive gotten for him)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB needs to be inside the tank - you may haft to get rid of the hammock - the tank looks nice but his basking temps need to be higher- what size wattage bulb do you have now? Here are some options - you can get a basking log or use the hide platform to get him closer for hotter temps -- Petsmart has some nice decor most of mine has come from there --- look on line for those -- 2 - get a hotter bulb - I dont know what wattage you have now but he needs to be able to sit directly under his UVB 6-8 inches from basking spot - w/ the lower temps and not being w/ correct UVB lower UVB rays that is why hes not digesting his food-- you want the cool side of your tank around 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- I was looking at the hide its looks small can he get inside it? I sent you a website for nutrition in one of my earlier post you can print it off -- I cant see the top of your tank either so its hard to tell where the UVB is -- the huge bowl seems to take up alot of room - what is in it? If you get the 10.0 bulb depending on the screen and how far the basking spot is you may be able to leave it on top --- is it a 40 gallon? and is the screen a wide hole or fine mesh?
Karrie

AndrewD

Original Poster
105743-7195234895.jpg

How do I get the UVB inside the tank and stay there? I have a 100watt basking bulb & i believe a 17watt UVB. He is in a 40gal right now.
Ive had a million different people tell me how to set up the lighting (wattage, brand, placement of lamps, etc) and every time i do that someone tells me that is wrong & then i have to go buy more stuff so what all do i need to get this lil guy on the right path? Ive had friends, employees at stores, and people online tell me so many different things & i just dont want to end up hurting my beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The only thing you need to do is get him closer to the UVB--- since its a T 8 see how far your distance is from one of your decors - the UVB is almost the length of the tank it looks like- you want him 6-8 inches from his basking area- check your email I sent you a pic of a tank w/ an example and what to use let me know if you get it
Karrie

AndrewD

Original Poster
I dont see any messages from you in my inbox.
the top of the hammock (where he was at in one of the pictures above) is about 9-10inches from both of the lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I sent it to you in private email - your outlook - let me know if you got it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think its too far - you want that UVB 6-8 since its a T 8 --- it does need to be closer --
Karrie

AndrewD

Original Poster
Something might be wrong with my email or what you sent mightve not gone through properly since I havent gotten anything in my email. I will keep trying to look for it though. I will rearrange some stuff for him and get it set up right with a new 10.0 bulb and all of that stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom