feeding first in the afternoon? plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a student and I have to wake up early in the morning and I don't think I have time to feed my bearded dragon in the morning is it okay for me to have my lights on a timer and let them turn on till like 10 am and then feed my bearded dragons first feeding in the afternoon ... around 5 pm ? Or is it bad for them to eat there first meal that late?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If your dragon is under 4 months old , I'd be ensuring at least a morning feed and an afternoon feed.

Invest in a smooth surfaced porcelain feeding dish like this
https://mrpetsupplies.com/products/ceramic-escape-proof-feeder-dish-bowl
, you can leave a few dozen large BSLF or some small ( about 1" long ) silkworms on some mulberry leaf or chow in the little dragon's tank first thing before heading off to lectures , the dragon will soon discover these and pick at them during the day.

Tip - make sure the bowl has a small overhang on inside rim and make sure the BSFL go into dry (if they are the least bit wet, they will escape the bowl, simply, make sure the bowl is clean and dry before they go into it.

Set the lights to come on about 6am or 7am, the dragon will be awake and warmed up and ready to eat by the time you either place the feeders in the tank in a dish or when you get up to drop insects like crickets or roaches in a few at a time ( I've never had a feeding session last more than 15 minutes ).

Unicornmoni

Original Poster
yes I do plan on feeding him multiple times a day but is it bad for them to be fed their three meal when they are babies all in the afternoon? ....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unicornmoni":2hk3o1c5 said:
yes I do plan on feeding him multiple times a day but is it bad for them to be fed their three meal when they are babies all in the afternoon? ....

I think if the meals are spaced out so there is about 3 hours between each meal you'll be OK.

It is going to hard to achieve 3 meals in the afternoon while allowing at least 2 hours of heat after the last meal before lights and heat are switched off for the night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've fed babies protein just once a day and it's been fine for years. They all grow up healthy like any other. I do shoot for 2 feedings on days that I can.

Leaving a bowl of worms or roaches in the morning is good, and then a meal when you get home is good too. You don't have to give babies feeders 3 times a day unless you want to.

Leave a salad in there each morning too. All of my babies start eating salads from a young age, it is important for them to get the micronutrients that salad items offer. It helps them grow too. But more importantly, it helps them stay healthy.

-Brandon

Unicornmoni

Original Poster
oh okay! can I leave a salad in my beardies tank in the morning before the lights turn on and set the lights for later on so when the lights are on he will have a salad there... or do I have to have the lights two hour before? because I leave for class really early... I leave home around 6:30?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No that's perfectly fine to leave the salad in there. That's what I do every morning. Most mornings I leave before lights come on.
You could leave a bowl of worms in their too if you want. You dont have to wait 2 hours after lights go on. The 2 hour rule is more so applied at night to give them ample time to digest their food before lights go out.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom