Bromeliad in tank?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Bromeliad in tank?

Postby LotusDragon98 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

I just got my beardie a larger tank and I want to add a plant to make it look a bit nicer. Does anyone know if this kind bromeliad is safe to put in the tank?
[Click image to enlarge]
LotusDragon98
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bromeliad in tank?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm

if in doubt , don't.

I think the dragon will destroy the plant in very short order either way.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Re: Bromeliad in tank?

Postby MrSpectrum » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 am

While I've seen bromeliads mentioned as generally safe on several lists, I have not (yet) seen any on the dangerous/poisonous/toxic lists. That said, it really depends on the particular species.

I was interested in including one at first, but after digging further, eliminated it due to temperature/humidity factors (one reason we stuck primarily to succulents). Bromeliads, like many other plants, can raise the humidity in the enclosure. They can also get HUGE, and outgrow the enclosure. Again, this may be species-dependent.

To be safe, I'd stick to those species specified in the many lists of BD-Safe plants. :wink:
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures