New Bearded Dragon Owner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbs1417

My family just adopted our first bearded dragon yesterday. She is an adult rescue from a rescue group near me. When we went to pick her up, she seemed fine. She was basking and she was moving her head around to look at us and when we took her out to hold her she seemed totally fine. Once we got home, I noticed that one of her eyes is darker than the other and that she closes it sometimes. It also seems like she cannot see out of this eye, as she seems to turn her head to look at things with her "good" eye. I read online that it can be because of parasites or trauma. I emailed the rescue to ask if she had been to the vet and tested for parasites and it turns out that she has not. My vet cannot see her for almost 2 weeks, and I'm really worried about parasites because I have two children who already love her and want to hold her (they always wash their hands very well after). Does this sound like parasites or could it be something else? I'm just looking for peace of mind until I can get her to the vet. Is there anything I can do for this in the meantime? She is still basking and she ate her salad this morning. Thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ita good to wait a month or so anyways to get a fecal test after getting a new dragon. The stress of a new environment often elevates normal parasite counts into higher ranges that would need to be treated. Almost like a false positive of sorts. A healthy immune system will keep parasite counts low enough to not be a real issue, but stress causes these numbers to rise. Most dragons will have some type of parasite in them but it's usually not symptomatic.

Can you maybe post a picture of her and her eye for us to see? Could it be cataracts?
If it looks irritated you can use a saline solution on it to help flush it a few times a day.

-Brandon

Tbs1417

Original Poster
claudiusx":d8wjg48u said:
Ita good to wait a month or so anyways to get a fecal test after getting a new dragon. The stress of a new environment often elevates normal parasite counts into higher ranges that would need to be treated. Almost like a false positive of sorts. A healthy immune system will keep parasite counts low enough to not be a real issue, but stress causes these numbers to rise. Most dragons will have some type of parasite in them but it's usually not symptomatic.

Can you maybe post a picture of her and her eye for us to see? Could it be cataracts?
If it looks irritated you can use a saline solution on it to help flush it a few times a day.

-Brandon

WkxQUVH.jpg

Good eye

003ouYn.jpg

Bad eye. Hard to get a good pic without her turning her head. It just looks all black instead of having a distinct pupil like on the good eye.

7JBw984.jpg

This is when she closes and bulges her eye

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Boy she is a spikey one! :mrgreen:

Her eye definitely seems to be bothering her then if shes bulging out on it. Do you know any of her history, such as how she was cared for at the shelter and before?

I'm not as familiar with cataracts in beardies as some others might be. Tracie would be able to give you a better idea on what exactly might be the issue. She should be on later tonight.

But in the mean time, you can try the sterile saline solution I mentioned. It might help flush anything out that could be in there. Or at the least hopefully provide her some temporary relief.
I would call the rescue and see if they are willing to pay for her eye to get checked.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is it possible she got something in it -- what kind of substrate do you have her on or what was she on? No colored bulbs?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom