Could my beardie be gravid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y'all. My beardie is only six months old but is slightly showing signs of laying. For the past week she has been eating less, hiding under her plants, and digging at the liner in the bottom of her cage for the past few days. Has a brand new 24inch uvb. Basking temps taken with probe thermometer is 95-105°f warm side on the floor is about 90° and cools side is 80-85°. In a 40 gallon breeder. It's very unusual for her to hide all day and refuse food. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How new is the bulb?
What type is it and how close is it to her basking surface and to her cool side floor?

Usually they wouldn't lay infertile at only 6 months but I suppose it's possible, just unlikely.

I'd be more keen to think it has something to do with the recent lighting change. But we can rule that out by your response to the above questions :)

-Brandon

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
Just switched the uvb bulb out two days ago. It's an repti sun t8 10.0 about six inches from the top of the basking rock but not directly above it. Her rock is in the back corner and the uvb is mounted in the front. About 13 inches from the cool side floor. I know its really rare for them to lay this young but not unheard of. The hiding has been going on at least a week and the diging at least three days.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Old that sounds good then.

It could be eggs, I doubt it though. Sometimes just like us, they go through moods or phases.

What was her eating like before this?
Usually when they are gravis they get really antsy and spastic in a sense, not really lethargic.

Has it been hotter where you live recently?

-Brandon

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
She was never one to refuse her bugs and actually ate her greens pretty well. Now she won't touch the greens at all and only eats about a third of the bugs I give her. It is hot where I live as we're in the middle of summer but I wouldn't say hotter than it's been in the last month or two. She's not sleeping during the day and looks up at me when I walk by the cage to check on her. And is pretty active when I take her out to play and cuddle at night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd be inclined to believe it's just a phase to be honest. She could also be getting ready to shed? They tend to act that way sometimes when a shed is coming on.

I only asked about the heat because we had a heat wave here and my dragons were all acting a little lethargic because of it.

I would just keep an eye on her, but at this point I wouldn't be too concerned :)

-Brandon

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
Thanks!! She is shedding her legs but even with full body sheds she never acted like this. Usually when in shed she's running around like crazy rubbing on whatever she can in the tank. I will keep an eye on her tho. Thanks so much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom