Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My little guy, Diablo, doesn’t really like to be handled. He’s about 4 or 5 months old and seems to be very healthy. He eats like a champ, he’s very active and alert and he even eats right out of my hand. But when I try to pick him up he takes off. Recently I have been trying to pick him up daily even if he runs because the last thing I want is a bearded dragon who doesn’t want to be handled. I have tried putting my hand in front of him and allowing him to climb onto my hand, I have approached him from the side so that he could see me (and I made sure he know I was there), and I’ve even tried from the top which I know is typically a no go. Does anyone have any advice for me on taming him? Should I continue to pick him up and hold him even if he resists? Should I give space?

How often do I pick him up in order to tame him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep doing what your doing w/ the hand in the tank----------- I would put a piece of fleece or soft blanket or clothing w/ your smell on it in his hide--- he will get used to you that way -- also hand feeding is good --- they are all skittish at that age -- just be patient and he will come around
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with approaching him from the front, side, or back, but not the top--that's the direction a predator would likely approach from. When you do approach in order to pick him up, follow through--don't back off. As I understand it, if he resists, and you let him, that will teach him that that's all he has to do to get you to give up and go away. Not easy to do, but you gotta learn to think like a BD. :wink:

The cloth with your scent sounds like a good idea, but will likely only help when approaching from the front. Do you hand feed?

The GoHerping kid has a pretty good video on taming Angry & Scared BDs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXGOAZ3-Ls

I'm sure there are other good vids on the subject, I'm just not thinking of them off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom