Is my dragon a morph or just a regular dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my girl, Pancake. Can anyone help me out?

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's hard to tell from the pic but she looks like a leatherback. If you got a closer picture it would be easier to say.

If the nails are completely clear, bo black or brown in them, shes also a hypo.
Does she have solid black eyes like a shark? If yes shes a trans also.

If no to those both her morph would be a leatherback :)

-Brandon

Hello, there are a lot of different morphs out there. I'm going to explain quite a few, so this might be a lot to read. There are heaps so for the ones I don't explain I'll just write the names at the bottom.

German Giant - Its possible but not very likely. To find out if she has the German Giant gene, you have to wait until shes fully grown. German Giants are Bearded Dragons that grow bigger than normal size. So the average size of a Bearded Dragon is 22-24" and German Giants can get to the largest of 26" (from head to tail).

Paradox Morph - Which no I don't think your Beardie has this but let me explain. So the paradox Morph is a morph that has very vibrant colours and show distinct paradox colours. So imagine a painting. Its really artistic really.

Zeros (or white bearded dragons, as being me, Australian, would call it) - No to this as well. Zeros are pure white (they have no patterns) and are very unusual, they are not albino, because they would have more of a translucent skin.

Witblits - Are exactly like zeros except they come in somewhat different colours. So they come in a sandy colour or more of a orangey, let's say they come in Earth colours. They still have no patterns.

Hypomelanistic or Hypo - They can come in a more pastel colour. Well if you have a hypo you should know it unless its het hypo (I'll explain later). So Hypos are more lighter in colour and you should see them with clear nails.

Het - So Bearded Dragon with this means it can have all these different morphs or genes but it won't display on your Dragon.
So Het Hypo, they are Hypomelanistic Dragons but non of the signs will show on your dragon.

Leatherback - They have smaller spikes and there skin on there back is loose and they don't feel very spikey. Yours could possibly be a Leatherback, I don't know because its in a picture so its hard to tell.

Silkback/Scaleless - These guys are amazing. They have no scales what so ever. They are very smooth to touch and also have a silky feel to them. But you have to be unbelievably careful when breeding these guys for when they mate the male likes to bite on to the females skin, which can kill them very easily. These are very hard to look after because there skin is very delicate.

Translucent - These guys aren't albino for they would have pinkish eyes. Translucent's eyes are very opposite to pink eyes, for they have pure black eyes, so people may describe them as aliens because there eyes. They also have a blue stomachs so you would have to look under, at there stomach area.

Dunners - If you check under your bearded dragon head the scales should be going down but if there sticking more to the sides then you have a dunner. Basically Dunners scales are very unorganized, and should be able to tell.

*Tiger
* Micro Scale
* Genetic Stripe
* Silverback
* Wero
* Yellow Hypo
* Blood Hypo Orange
* Red Het Hypomelanistic
* Hypo Red Crawley
* Hypo Snow
* Hypo Het Translucent
* English Belgium Hypo
* Red Hypomelanistic
* Red Italian Silkback
* Italian Leatherback
* Red Italian Leatherback
* Hypo Leatherback
* Het Hypomelanistic
* Hypo Translucent Leatherback Dunner
* Purple Paradox Leatherback
* Red & Orange Hypo Translucent
* Rally Red Trans
* Hypo Translucent Genetic Stripe & Leatherback Genetic Stripe
* Hypo Het Translucent
* Dark Translucent
* Citrus Tiger Hypo Translucent

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like a normal/standard but I agree, a closer pic will be helpful. BTW ice, that's a very long list of morphs + types of dragons. :) Just an FYI though, you may have made a typo but no G.Giants grew to 90 cm's. They were generally in the 24-26" range.

Hi, AHBD
Yeah, I'm not the greatest when it comes to measurements or when I first got my beardie I was looking up morphs and different genes mine could possibly have and I might have looked on the wrong website.

reereejugs

Original Poster
So I forgot I made this post lmao sorry about that.

She's a leatherback but I wasn't sure about anything else. Seems just a regular old leatherback and that's cool :) She's my baby girl.

The German Giant thing kinda freaks me out. For some reason I was under the impression they're pretty much extinct, at least in North America? Maybe not. I hope like hell she doesn't turn out to be one! The enclosure she would need would probably have to be even bigger than the standard 4x2x2. She's about 8 or 9 months old and just hit 17 inches. That's normal, right? She's only my second dragon and the first was a rescue that was all ****ed up with MBD.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm beginning to suspect that a true "regular" ("classic"/"standard"/"normal", i.e. no morph) bearded dragon is as mythical/rare/nonexistent as a true "German Giant". This is due (I believe) to there being no such thing as "natural selection" in captive bred (CB) bearded dragons. IOW, CB BDs are--by definition--selectively bred (even "accidental" breedings), because the two parent dragons either got--or were put--together by some human intervention, whether intended or not.

Also, very few (if any, from what I can tell) breeders are intentionally breeding regular/classic/what-have-you BDs. Sad, but (ostensibly) true. :cry:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Generally when a new owner asks about morphs they are checking to see if their dragon is one of the ones they see sold that are classified as hypo's, transluscent [ trans. ] leatherbacks, witblits, Dunner's ,zero's etc. When they are visually unidentifiable as any of those specifically and not shown to be such by the breeder then they are referred to as normal/standard. Of course there's nothing wrong with calling a dragon a high orange, red,citrus , etc. and being sold as such simply as a description. Pet shops have further confused identity's by calling a dragon " fancy " if it looks high colored or is a leatherback. As it is now, people have accepted the terms normal/standard as a dragon that has no specialized morph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom