needing help with mites in bioactive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, a bit new here. i have a unique problem... i think. to know the context here is the story, i apologize for the length, anyway i have 2 bio-active vivariums, one for my crested gecko named cayenne and one for my bearded dragon sentry. part of this was hubris possibly. however some time ago i had a few things of isopods and springtails and dwarf white and superworms. things were going great till i opened my container one day and found mites in my super worm bin, these were hitch hikers on some darkling beetles i got, i think.... anyway they seemed only interested in eating my osopods,which they did. they got all 50 of them. they promptly jumped to my powder blues. my powder blues got annihilated! down to 3!

so i picked them out with tongs and transplanted them into a new bin this time spraying prevent a mite on the underside of the lide. it... didnt work... so as a last stitch effort i took my master culture of springtails and dumped it in there. so i checked the bin later and now there was only 1 mite, no swarm and my isopods had 2 babies. 2 thumbs up!

problem is i got a roach bin and a bearded dragon and i kinda neglected to clean the roach bin and tan mites moved in, i think they are mold mites. which should have no interest in my reptiles right? ok well this is where i was dumb, i thought OK well a bunch of spring tails fixed my problem last time, why not move the roaches to a bio-active bin? seemed simple enough, put some reptisoil in there... put some springtails in there and your good to go, waited a week or whatever and and no mites visible, so OK! good to go!

however i did the dumb thing of feeding some to my bearded dragon and one of the roaches burrowed into the substrate! so gone forever. until my beardie finds him... which he probably will. and i was on a roach feeding frenzy so i gave a dish to my cresty who promptly ate them all immediately, however i was an ***** and left the dish in there and now i see a number of the tan mites in there who clearly are setting up base camp... i have a strong springtail population... but is that enough? and now i may have infected my bearded dragons den... that substrate is NOT cheap! how worried should i be and is there anything i can and should do to prevent problems? will the tan mites die off without proper mold or something? please help!

Crisisalive

Original Poster
Yeah i read that and called in as well to ask details. Apearently reducing humidity will discourage breeding... however the problem is washington weather is... moderately humid but my tank is like... uncontrollably humid right now... like i havent misted for days and its still 75 percent. I put a dehumidifier by it and it only went down like 3%... i and those mites seem strong... im really hoping they dont jump to our basement... im thinkin of taking out that maidens hair in there... because at this rate it wont get down to a reasonable humidity until next summer... on a side note my gecko seems to like his quarentine enclosure better than his bio active tank as while he was in his bioactive tank he was always fired up. Hes no longer fired up and its a sterile 6 quart bin... is that... normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom