Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approx 6 weeks ago I took my male beardie (Bush) to the vet and they told me he was impacted, they took an x ray too and luckily no MBD. They gave him a enema and gave me some meds to give him and told me to bring him back if he still had issues pooping for over a week. So far he has been pooping within 5 to 7 days. He is not interested in greens or other veg at all... He has started not eating roaches, which I breed for him. Only eats Mario worms. I have started syringe feeding him the greens, mixed with calci powder. He is quite lathergic and has started chewing the wroms slowly now. Still worried about him wondered if anyone could help me. He is about 18 months old. Can't give pics for now but can get some of his set up soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As soon as you post pics we can better help but I would suggest you start a different protein - like BSFL - they are high in calcium -- have you tried crickets? Are you offering greens ? You can also feed horn worms but they are more for hydration than a feed source --- I am guessing all the super worms caused impaction ---
Karrie

HammondsHabitat

Original Poster
He doesn't really do crickets either. No the impaction came from the substrate I had for him. I'll post some pics soon. Yea tried greens and he just kinda looks at them. Also got a female who I bought about 3 weeks ago and she has parasites, she's just fnished the first course of meds and I'm taking her back to the vets in a week on Tuesday. She has a fantastic apatite though although doesn't like being held that much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of substrate did you have in his tank that impacted him?
I would be careful letting the vet give an enema, as they have been known to cause
damage & sometimes death if done improperly.
How is he doing tonight?
I would consider giving soft foods for awhile, such as chicken or turkey baby food, mixed
with sweet potato or squash either one. For now, you can get some canned pumpkin & some
sugar free applesauce, mixed with coconut or olive oil (just a drop or two) & give that to him
daily to help out with impaction.
You can also give a daily bath to have him swim a little bit which promotes GI motility due to
exercise.
Also, keep him around 80 overnight to help with metabolism, too & boost his immune system.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom