Help! I gave too large a dose of antibiotics to my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s 3 years old, normal morph. She was diagnosed with flaggelatted Protozoa. I gave her .6cc when she needed .16cc my eyes are terrible. Besides probiotics and keeping a close eye on her, what can I do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Plenty of water will be helpful. And if the med. is Panacur it's not usually harmful if too much is given.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aka flagyl, just watch out for lethargy + vomiting or any other bad symptoms but he should be fine. Skip the next 2 days at least if he was on a daily dose. How many days was he to be on it ? They generally only need a very short [ 2-3 days ] treatment. BTW, some people keep activated charcoal on hand in case of overdose. I don't think he'll need it but again, watch for any signs. If he has an appetite, feed him , that will dilute the meds., but don't feed him if it's late where you are.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That can happen unfortunately.
Definitely watch for lethargic behavior, black bearding, etc. Do you have any parsley, cilantro,
mint & basil you can mix up with some water into a little slurry to give to him? Those can help
detoxify the system as well as hydrate him a little bit, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

mangofrankobowser

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies! Her light is about to turn off so I cannot feed her. I will make a big ole slurry in the morning with probiotics in it. She's not black bearding and there's no fluid coming from her mouth or eyes. I set an alarm to check on her during the night just to be safe.

mangofrankobowser

Original Poster
Amazing! Gave her wet greens with probiotics this morning. Fed her this afternoon and she ate more than she was in almost a month (in one feeding session). It's so relieving.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific news she is doing so well & didn't seem to be phased by the medication.
It sounds like she is staying hydrated also!

Thanks for the updates.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom