Too big of an enclosure?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Too big of an enclosure?

Postby Bmjo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Is a 48x18x18 enclosure too big for a 3 month old bearded dragon?
Bmjo
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Too big of an enclosure?

Postby claudiusx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Nope it's just fine as long as you have proper temps and uv :)

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am

So long there is a good thermal gradient, a good UV gradient , and a choice of hides , this is fine for the 3 month old.

My only concern would be the little juvenile dragon loosing track of insects like crickets , roaches and or locusts who are fast moving and will scurry away and try to hide,
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Bmjo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

kingofnobbys wrote:So long there is a good thermal gradient, a good UV gradient , and a choice of hides , this is fine for the 3 month old.

My only concern would be the little juvenile dragon loosing track of insects like crickets , roaches and or locusts who are fast moving and will scurry away and try to hide,

Me too. I might have a feeding tank
Bmjo
Hatchling Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Bmjo wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:So long there is a good thermal gradient, a good UV gradient , and a choice of hides , this is fine for the 3 month old.

Me too. I might have a feeding tank

If he/she's only little, you can temporarily partition off half the tank with some cardboard or a sheet of MDF.

I've never been successful at getting skinks or dragons to eat in a separate feeding tank/tub.

I'd be dropping the feeders ( if crickets or roaches or similar) in for the little dragon a few at a time , let it catch and eat them , then repeat until it looses interest ( means it's full ).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Aquilist » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:33 pm

I may be a bit late, but my Dragon was in a 48x24x24 from since he was 1 month old. He loves it.
I feed him in a separate plastic tub, and he never hesitates to gobble up every insect in his path. He uses all the space, running from one end to the other.
I highly recommend.
Giving my grades up for adoption, because I can't raise them myself.
I like lizards
Aquilist
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures