Basking lamp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaBlue3

This is probably an extremely dumb question but is it possible for a basking lamp to produce light but suddenly not produce enough heat? My basking spot temps were running consistently at 107 degrees and suddenly the max temp I’m getting is 97 and my beardie hasn’t eaten in 2 days and I’m thinking the temp is the problem. I’m haven’t changed anything in her enclosure.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has the weather been different?
What are you measuring your temps with?

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Change in room temperature perhaps . Has it been cooler lately ?

Output from incandescents and halogens can definitely drop off it there's a fault within the globe.

What exactly are you using for your basking globe ?

MamaBlue3

Original Poster
I’m using a digital thermometer with a probe and the lighting is pet smart’s brand. We did change our air filter for the house and it has been cooler but it’s still above 70 in the house.

Is the brand reptizoo reputable? I see they have a uva/uvb/heat bulb combo that is affordable on amazon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MamaBlue3":28wwrmne said:
I’m using a digital thermometer with a probe and the lighting is pet smart’s brand. We did change our air filter for the house and it has been cooler but it’s still above 70 in the house.

Is the brand reptizoo reputable? I see they have a uva/uvb/heat bulb combo that is affordable on amazon.

21 degC or 70F is considered quite chilly for inside a home here in Australia.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could simply just be the time of day. My temps are much cooler the first few hours simply because the basking bulb hasn't heated up the basking surface much yet. The basking surface will radiate heat also as it warms up. So if you took previous measurements in the afternoon, and this one in the morning, that could be it.

A regular bulb wont produce less heat unless it also is producing less light. If the light output looks the same from the bulb the change is most likely environmental.

Either way, if the temps are too cold and your dragon is seeming to have issues you might as well replace it or lower it to allow for proper temps :)

Never heard of reptizoo. I'd just stick with a tube uvb and a regular basking bulb.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MamaBlue3":273mzth5 said:

Had to look them up
found this reference Dong Guan ETAN Industrial & Investment Co., Ltd ,
http://www.repti-zoo.com/en/productshow.php?f=show&catid=65&contentid=570 , they give no information on the measureable UV output from their globes , so risky IMO , so give their globes a VERY WIDE berth , they are a just another cloner based somewhere in china.

I wouldn't be buying any lighting or fittings from any AMAZON sellers , better of going to Ebay or local mailorder petshops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom