New baby beardie won't eat (Lethargic behavior)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustmister

Original Poster
Very good news everyone he loves Phoenix worms. Today we gobbled up 3 roaches and 8 Phoenix worms. We read around to Peirce the worms before feeding which helps speed everything up. I didn't even have to hold him for the last worm. We are going to reduce the bathes to ever other day to relieve some stress since he's eating more now. He is moving a little more than before even moving down to the tile to defecate. Maybe I over reacted but it seems forcing him to eat a little was a step in the right direction. I will post another update Friday on our progress.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great news! I was hoping a little extra nutrition would do him good! Please do keep us updated! :D

-Brandon

Dustmister

Original Poster
Well we only got 8 pw in him yesterday which is good but not great. He enjoyed his bath even tried to get our of it after 8 minutes in (94f). I tried feeding him this morning but he wasn't having any of it. He would put the worm in his mouth chomp a bit and let it fall out. I sat there for maybe 10 minutes trying to get him to eat one worm. He doesn't always right himself when we lay him on his back. It seems more like he doesn't care anymore. We took him outside to see if he needed some more sun and he got aggressive and bit me then had diarrhea. I have read a number of posts on here and it looks like a failure to thrive. I'm not really sure what we should do at this point since a vet bill is going to be $200 plus just for them to tell us "its xxx so hes going to die". The vet here doesn't have rave reviews.
Any ideas on what we should try? Maybe just let him be for a few days?

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/30kL8AW

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just keep feeding him. Some dragons dont like pws so if he eats them great. If not, at least he still has dubias.

I would stop putting him on his back. There is no reason to do so and it only stresses him out.

The diarrhea could be from being stressed and scared too so I'd actually avoid taking him outside if he seems to react that way to it. And if he doesnt drink in the bath I wouldn't even bathe him. If he does limit it to maybe once a week.

For now it might be best to just keep handling to a minimum and let him relax and eat.
He sounds just really stressed and scared right now based on what you've described. Hopefully if hes able to calm down and relax in conjunction with some good nutrients, he will perk up.

-Brandon

Dustmister

Original Poster
claudiusx":2ljhixw3 said:
Just keep feeding him. Some dragons dont like pws so if he eats them great. If not, at least he still has dubias.

I would stop putting him on his back. There is no reason to do so and it only stresses him out.

The diarrhea could be from being stressed and scared too so I'd actually avoid taking him outside if he seems to react that way to it. And if he doesnt drink in the bath I wouldn't even bathe him. If he does limit it to maybe once a week.

For now it might be best to just keep handling to a minimum and let him relax and eat.
He sounds just really stressed and scared right now based on what you've described. Hopefully if hes able to calm down and relax in conjunction with some good nutrients, he will perk up.

-Brandon

How should I feed him without handling him? He wont eat unless we hold him and push on his mouth with food.

Edit: We have decided to return our baby beardie as survival is unlikely. I called the owner and they recommended we return him so they can take care of the issue. I appreciate the help everyone we just want whats best for Sebastian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom