Needing a little guidance with juvenile feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

So I am bringing home a beardie tomorrow or friday that was being rehomed on craigslist. I've been wanting one for a while and my life is in a good place now so I feel comfortable that I can provide a good home for this girl. I dont know how old she is, only that she is 11 inches long and looks healthy. That being said, I'm confident shes fairly young. And we will have a vet check up in a few weeks after shes settled.

My concern is that I work an early 1st shift job, leaving home about 6am. I've thought through some feeding options but I'm not sure what would be best.

Option 1- lights on at 5 or 6am
Salad on the cool side before leaving
Come home and feed insects at 12:30 on my lunch
Insects again at 4 when I'm home from work
Lights off at 6 or 7pm

Option 2-
Basically the same times but put insects in a smooth dish at 6am before leaving instead of coming home in the middle of the day.

I only live about a mile from work so I dont mind coming home on my lunch, there's just a lot of conflicting info out there and would like any suggestions! Thanks

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

So I think the schedule you suggested, with or without the bowl of insects, would work out just great. However, may I ask when you hope to interact with your beardie/when you go to bed? I might have some suggestions based on that...

If you do leave a bowl of bugs in there with her, make sure they are a species she can either get away from easily if they escape of one that poses no threat to her.

Best,
-Ellen

lizalizaliza

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":80de515v said:
Hiya,

So I think the schedule you suggested, with or without the bowl of insects, would work out just great. However, may I ask when you hope to interact with your beardie/when you go to bed? I might have some suggestions based on that...

If you do leave a bowl of bugs in there with her, make sure they are a species she can either get away from easily if they escape of one that poses no threat to her.

Best,
-Ellen
As far as I know, her staple insect has been dubias and I plan to continue that (with others here and there for variety of course) so I'm not terribly worried about those being left in a smooth dish.

On my 2 days off/week I plan to spend quite a bit of time with her, do baths, etc. On my work days, I actually get off at 3, so I plan to have a bit of time before feeding and some time after shes had time to bask and digest. I generally dont go to bed til 9.

Would it be ok to put salad in early in the morning but have the lights come on later around 7? I have a timer, I just dont know if leaving her salad/maybe insects out that long is ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom