Concrete/Cement Substrate?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Concrete/Cement Substrate?

Postby hanmb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:46 pm

I am looking for a easy-to-clean substrate/flooring that does not have a risk of impactions (loose substrate like sand) and cant get caught around my beardie’s toes (reptile carpet). I’ve heard about ceramic tile being good, and I really like how easy it would be to spot clean with a baby wipe.

I had an idea to pour some outdoor cement into a thin layer in the bottom of the tank, then sprinkle sand on top to give it a grittier texture. Would the concrete get too hot? Would it be too hard on my beardie’s feet? I’m getting a baby beardie if that helps.

Thanks! (:
hanmb
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Concrete/Cement Substrate?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Loosely laid ceramic floor tiles are your best bet .

Any soiled tiles can be lifted out very easily and taken out to get a blast with garden hose.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DorgEndo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:38 am

I second the tile.

Personally I have shelf liner as one solid layer under my tiles (Terra Cotta tiles), since poo can sometimes leak between the tiles. Also shed scales and some random chips from her climbing logs eventually create a little mess that gets between the tiles. Even plain shelf liner can work fine as one easy surface to clean. Tiles also buff down the nails naturally so they don't get super too long or sharp, that has been nice for handling and she doesn't have to have her nails trimmed which is a pro for my dragon too
DorgEndo
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 am

I too have slated ceramic tiles in my tank but I have a thick paper towel under the tile to catch the watery urate and to keep from soaking into the tile under neath -- works great ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:33 am

I like tile too, but to answer your question you could do what you're suggesting if you wanted to also. I wouldn't sprinkle any sand on top though. The cement will have enough texture to it.

Cement and concrete are very different though. Concrete would probably hold up better.

But, I'd go with tile personally.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 pm

KarrieRee wrote:I too have slated ceramic tiles in my tank but I have a thick paper towel under the tile to catch the watery urate and to keep from soaking into the tile under neath -- works great ---
Karrie

I have some of my tiles covered with 2 or 3 layers of absorbant paper towels - just makes it easier to clean up .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Drache613 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
Drache613

Postby hanmb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 am

Are loose tiles better than those that are permanently sealed to the enclosure (with grout and such)? Tumbled Travertine tiles look like nice ones at Home Depot. Are those the right kind?
hanmb
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:33 am

Some people prefer fixed tiles. I like using loose tiles because I can lift them out to clean/bake them and clean underneath. Not a huge issue if the tiles are sealed. They do make the enclosure much heavier so that's something to consider too. I use two 18x18'' ceramic tiles (not glossy). There are a lot of good options available though.
CooperDragon

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Mine are laid in there loosely for me to pull and clean- they are cut to the size of the tank going wideth wise -- and I use slated ceramic tile that came from Home Depot-- I think it was $13 to tile a 120 gallon tank
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby hanmb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:18 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Mine are laid in there loosely for me to pull and clean- they are cut to the size of the tank going wideth wise -- and I use slated ceramic tile that came from Home Depot-- I think it was $13 to tile a 120 gallon tank
Karrie

Does Home Depot cut the tiles for you? Or did you have to cut them yourself? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make my tank the best it can be for my new baby
hanmb
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

It depends on the store- I have heard some do ours here do not-- we have a tile cutter so my husband cut them-- call your stores if you have a Lowe's or other home improvement in your area I would call and ask
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures