Tank Placement and Other Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanmb

I'm getting a baby (2-ish months old) beardie, and I'm trying to find the perfect place for the terrarium. In our bonus room, there's a nice place, but it's next to (not directly in front of) a window. The window faces (almost exactly) north, so no direct sunlight gets in, and it's situated right behind a huge holly bush, so even less light can get in. I've heard people say that putting a glass bearded dragon terrarium next to a window is a huge no-no, but does that change if the window barely lets in any light and heat? I will also probably have a cling background on the tank that will cover all but one side, so the side closest to the window will be covered.

Also, I found a great deal on craigslist for a 75 gallon front-opening tank and a lot of accessories (climbing branches, food bowl, etc) for $175. I have also been looking at the $1 per gallon sale at PetCo so I could get a 20 gallon tank for $20 or 30 gallon tank for $30, to go the smaller, economy route. Which should I go for? Should I go ahead and get the big, fancy tank to prepare for my beardie's adulthood, or should I go for the smaller tank and upgrade later?

Thanks so much for your help!! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Near the window probably won't cause a problem as long as a lot of light isn't coming in and getting to the enclosure. If you keep a close eye on the temps or even get a thermostat to control the basking light it will help minimize problems with temp fluctuations in the room. I recommend keeping the enclosure in a main room of the house with plenty of activity. They're curious little guys and tend to like to be around the action (based on what I've seen, they all have unique personalities so this isn't necessarily universal).

As far as the enclosure goes, I'd definitely go for the larger one with the front opening doors. The doors are a huge help. The larger tank doesn't tend to be a big deal for little guys. It will provide more space for climbing areas and spots to explore. I'd start with that and see how he settles.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree and have input on the window thing --- the glass will be a little harder to keep warm next or in front of the window - especially in winter so I would recommend what Brandon and CooperDragon said but go w/ that 75 gallon tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom