Painting

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Painting

Postby Gtxollie1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 am

We want to paint my room which has our two bearded dragons in, is it safe to do so with them in the room? The vivarium is extremely heavy so it is almost impossible to move. Will the paint be harmful to them? We will keep the room well ventilated and use a non toxic paint. Thankyou :)
Gtxollie1
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Painting

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 am

Yes. The fumes from the paint will be very dangerous to them, you will need to set up some kind of industrial fan to force fresh air though the room to ensure the concentration of solvent fumes remains low , OR , find someone with a removalists trolley or a few beefy helpers to assist you in moving the tank to an area of the house that WONT be contaminated by solvent fumes.

Even NON-Toxic paints come in cans full of very toxic solvents.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10553
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Painting

Postby Gtxollie1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Yes. The fumes from the paint will be very dangerous to them, you will need to set up some kind of industrial fan to force fresh air though the room to ensure the concentration of solvent fumes remains low , OR , find someone with a removalists trolley or a few beefy helpers to assist you in moving the tank to an area of the house that WONT be contaminated by solvent fumes.

Even NON-Toxic paints come in cans full of very toxic solvents.


Okay, Thankyou for the advice !
Gtxollie1
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: Painting

Postby Ellentomologist » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:26 am

Hiya Gtxollie1,

I agree with what the other poster said. Another option, though, is to make a temporary setup elsewhere in your house until the fumes clear.

Best,
-Ellen
About me: Recent graduate working at a research laboratory. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians, but only one BD named Guacamole. Love getting and giving book recommendations. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Painting

Postby Gtxollie1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 am

Ellentomologist wrote:Hiya Gtxollie1,

I agree with what the other poster said. Another option, though, is to make a temporary setup elsewhere in your house until the fumes clear.

Best,
-Ellen

I think that might be my best bet, I’ve looked into buying some large plastic tubs, that I’ll be able to add the lighting to, they would only need to stay in there for a few days so once everything is set up okay they should bs Fine. Thanks for the input :)
Gtxollie1
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Painting

Postby AHBD » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Large plastic tubs as temp. homes would be best, they have really big ones at Walmart.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22762
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Painting

Postby MelRun2129 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 am

Hi! Piggy-backing off the OP’s question, how long should we wait to move our beardie back into a room after it’s been painted? We were thinking of painting our son’s room next week.

Thank you!
MelRun2129
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am

Re: Painting

Postby claudiusx » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:46 am

If you can't smell the paint anymore, it's fully cured! :mrgreen:
It all depends on what type of paint you use. But that's a good general rule to go by. A day or two should be good enough as long as you have good airflow through it.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14458
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Painting

Postby MelRun2129 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 pm

claudiusx wrote:If you can't smell the paint anymore, it's fully cured! :mrgreen:
It all depends on what type of paint you use. But that's a good general rule to go by. A day or two should be good enough as long as you have good airflow through it.

-Brandon


Thank you Brandon! That’s what I was going to do for my son, so I figured it’d be same for our beardie, but I wanted to double check!
MelRun2129
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users