Having trouble finding greens in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiyou

Hey I've been trying to find some stable greens for my dragon in Vancouver but I've had no luck. Collard greens are nowhere to be found at Safeway, Superstore, IGA, H mart and T&T. Anyone from this area that has some tips for me?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What greens are available to you? I'd imagine youd be able to find bok choy, that's a good staple green too.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used it as a staple for years alongside other staples. Try not to get too caught up in only feeding items labeled as staples, or avoiding things labeled as occasional. They are simply recommendations and guidelines to help you make decisions. Unless a food item has near toxic levels of something, most things will be ok.

The goal of those charts is to push the goal of feeding nutrient dense foods, and bok choy fits that bill.

In bok choys case, it's the high level of vitamin a that keeps it from being listed as a staple green. Which isnt really a concern. Bok choy is packed full of a multitude of micronutrients and loads of other goodies for health.

If you go over with us what else you have available, we can help you pick some more items too.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And for what it's worth, dandelion which is also considered a staple, has double the vit a of bok choy per serving. So that's what I mention using them as a general guideline and looking into each item yourself to make the best decision. :)

-Brandon

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hi! I'm on the other end of Canada but have a similar issue lol. If you have a Metro or Farm Boy anywhere near you check there, I seem to have the most luck at those stores.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CANADIAN FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS, (and anyone else) :D

I know there are farmers markets throughout North America (and likely elsewhere); try to make use of them while the season is still upon us; they shut down shortly after harvest in the fall, but should be booming right about now.

Best, least expensive source of fresh produce I know of. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom